Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorbikes in traffic queues

When ever in heavy traffic, at traffic lights, stood still on a motorway etc, motorbikes always try and squeeze through say the middle of the cars & lorries, using the broken line as there lane so to speak.

Now, i wonder if anyone knows what the law is on this? and also, if the motorcyclist was doing this and a driver knocked the motorcyclist off, who is at fault?

A while back I was on the A205 at the traffic lights when a motorcyclist squeezed between my car and the one in the outside lane, In doing so he smashed his handlebars into my mirror.
    He was wearing a Hi-Viz which had 'Instructor' written on it and the name of the learner company that he worked for. I Gave him a blast of the horn to get his attention and he just stuck 2 fingers up at me! - His obviously a great inspiration to his pupil riders!

Personally I think its dangerous and also they cause damage to peoples cars as they scrape their way thru. Although, There is no law that I know of that prevents them from doing this.

Comment

Any damage/unjury caused by a motorcyclist weaving through the traffic, by creating an "extra" lane as described, leaves that motorcyclist liable to claims against him/her.

Comment

Originally posted by MrDanno View Post
        A while back I was on the A205 at the traffic lights when a motorcyclist squeezed between my car and the one in the outside lane, In doing so he smashed his handlebars into my mirror.
        He was wearing a Hi-Viz which had 'Instructor' written on it and the name of the learner company that he worked for. I Gave him a blast of the horn to get his attention and he just stuck 2 fingers up at me! - His obviously a great inspiration to his pupil riders!

Crikey, he gave you the 2 finger salute for him causing the accident...what an idiot. The bit where you say he had instructor written on his jacket made me laugh. You would have thought he would have slightly more common sense. Like you say, i dread to think what he teaches his students
        Last edited by chrischaos; 09-04-08, 15:19.

Comment

I think the way that they weave through traffic thinking they have their own lane should be restricted, and definitely made illegal on roads whose lanes are less than a certain width.

Equally as dangerous is the way in which, on a completely clear single-carriageway main road, they drive almost in the middle of the road. It can be quite unnerving when you pass one going in the opposite direction and it beggars belief why they do this stunt when they've got the whole empty lane free to use.

And they wonder why they're the "victims" of so many traffic accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischaos View Post
            When ever in heavy traffic, at traffic lights, stood still on a motorway etc, motorbikes always try and squeeze through say the middle of the cars & lorries, using the broken line as there lane so to speak.

Now, i wonder if anyone knows what the law is on this? and also, if the motorcyclist was doing this and a driver knocked the motorcyclist off, who is at fault?
            It is called filtering, it is perfectly legal to do so on a motorcycle.

Giving the bird after causing damage is not!.

Comment

I rode motorcycles for over 30yrs, consequently, I move over to let them pass. I still see the occasional twit who moves across a lane to block motorcyclists passing them in traffic queues, even to the point of driving into the back of the stationary car in front.

Comment

Know it All

Originally posted by 98selitb View Post
                I think the way that they weave through traffic thinking they have their own lane should be restricted, and definitely made illegal on roads whose lanes are less than a certain width.

Equally as dangerous is the way in which, on a completely clear single-carriageway main road, they drive almost in the middle of the road. It can be quite unnerving when you pass one going in the opposite direction and it beggars belief why they do this stunt when they've got the whole empty lane free to use.

And they wonder why they're the "victims" of so many traffic accidents.
                Ever ridden a motorbike? It is perfectly legal to "filter" through the traffic - that is how they are trained when taking driver training. With regards to driving almost in the middle of the road - firstly they are also trained to drive defensively and also to drive positively. Secondly - What difference does it make where in the lane they drive? So long as they don't cross the dividing line onto your side - you have no reason to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolebama View Post
                  I rode motorcycles for over 30yrs, consequently, I move over to let them pass. I still see the occasional twit who moves across a lane to block motorcyclists passing them in traffic queues, even to the point of driving into the back of the stationary car in front.

I do the same when its safe for them to pass, Quite often get a nod or a wave of gratitude

They are not all bad, Like everything it's the few idiots that get everyone branded with the same iron.

Comment

Giving the bird

Originally posted by BillG View Post
                    It is called filtering, it is perfectly legal to do so on a motorcycle.

Giving the bird after causing damage is not!.
                    "Giving the bird" is a single fingered salute....isn't it?
                    Last edited by lonestranger; 09-04-08, 15:35.

Comment

Originally posted by lonestranger View Post
                      Ever ridden a motorbike? Secondly - What difference does it make where in the lane they drive? So long as they don't cross the dividing line onto your side - you have no reason to complain.

1st of all, No i have never ridden a motorbike, and would never want to. The reason being is because a number of years ago i witnessed an horiffic motorbike accident, caused by the erratic behaviour of the motorcyclist weaving in and out of the traffic, squeezing between lorries and cars, causing a danger to other road users.

To the 2nd point you raise, surly it makes a difference when, for instance, a motorway can only handle 3 lanes of traffic not 4! but i'm not disputing what lane they are/should be in, i'm asking should they be riding along the broken white line, hence them not actually being in a lane at all!

Comment

3rd time

Its called filtering and is perfectly acceptable and legal.

Comment

1st of all, No i have never ridden a motorbike, and would never want to. The reason being is because a number of years ago i witnessed an horiffic motorbike accident, caused by the erratic behaviour of the motorcyclist weaving in and out of the traffic, squeezing between lorries and cars, causing a danger to other road users.
                          It's the same with pedestrians and cyclists - when there is an accident, regardless of who really is at fault, the car driver tends to get the blame and the burden is completely on him/her to prove that they were not at fault, rather than being neutral and treating both parties equally. I think because the injuries suffered by motorcyclists are usually more serious, they get sympathy even if they are solely at fault for the accident.

Originally posted by christchaos View Post
                          To the 2nd point you raise, surly it makes a difference when, for instance, a motorway can only handle 3 lanes of traffic not 4! but i'm not disputing what lane they are/should be in, i'm asking should they be riding along the broken white line, hence them not actually being in a lane at all!
                          I agree, it makes a difference; they should be within one lane, not straddling two.

Additionally, I add my opinion to comments already aired, that it is the minority of kamikaze motorcyclists who give the safe and competent majority a bad name, as with any category of driver or vehicle. Most motorcyclists are perfectly good and are no problem at all. However, I must admit that I have come across considerably more dangerous motorcyclists than any other type of driver/vehicle.
                          Last edited by 98selitb; 09-04-08, 16:08.

Comment

4th time

It's called "FILTERING", and is perfectly acceptable and legal.
                            Last edited by lonestranger; 10-04-08, 14:23.

Comment

Filtering thru traffic

I ride a motorbike and failed on my first motorcycle test after hesitating to filter through traffic stopped at traffic lights.
                              When I questioned the examiners decision, he said he'd failed me for "not making progress" and that had I not stopped he would've passed me

Comment

Working...
                              X