Opinions on this overtake?

Bit of an unusual one - hard to tell from the footage but does look like he had a clear view all of the time and the road was clear.

I know this road and you do get a very clear view of traffic coming in the other direction.
    I agree, plus he didn’t appear to be speeding and plenty of places for him to slot back into.

It does look like there was a bit of a hill towards the end which affected visibility but people are saying this is exaggerated by the position of the camera, and the driver himself would have had a better visibility.
    Newspaper trying to cause trouble here. Absolutely nothing wrong, illegal, dangerous or stupid about his driving. No one was inconvenienced, no one was put at risk, no one had to take evasive action. The drivers who should be taken to task are the ones who sat behind the tractor at 20mph on a perfectly straight road and made NO attempt to overtake. :rolleyes:
    Yup, I don't see what the fuss is about, as said above, safe plenty of opportunities to pull back in.
    Each vehicle overtaken could, and probably was, dealt with as an individual overtake.
    Sometimes, life hands you a good bit to play with.
    Amazing how dramatic we are in the UK and developed parts of the world. (Try driving at 18mph in Jakarta or Dehli haha). The newspaper should be checked for their lack of accurate reporting perhaps. So what if he has 300hp, he wasn't eringing the neck out of it? Driving at 18mph and joining the mindless queue and not using your road sense and driving skill is worse?
    Agree the UK does get very dramatic. I sometimes watch the “dash cam compilations” on YouTube and the overreactions of the dash cam owners to mostly non-events on the road makes me chuckle. How would they cope if something bad was to actually occur?

I don’t see how the car having 300bhp has anything to do with it (aside from making the overtake easier and safer) and why they felt the need to mention that, I suppose being a Subaru means the driver is a hooligan!
    Haha yes, I have seen those too......I think dash cams are probably going to become a legal requirement in future, but I agree that many drivers seem to fit them and then go looking for opportunities to push into roundabout traffic or drift along next to foreign lorry drivers and record their future fame on You Tube! haha
    Nothing wrong with that; plenty of spaces between most of the vehicles. So unlike the A82, with nose to tail convoys not prepared to overtake when an opportunity arises. The other week I overtook seven huge motorhomes and one car on a clear one mile long straight (in itself an amazing occurence on that road at this time of year). OK, weather and road conditions good, but they were all burbling along at 40mph and there were no gaps between the vehicles. I was indicating and had full beam headlights on. The police at the end of the straight could see it all and I'm well over the time for any NIP.
    It is good to hear examples of police still being OK with making safe and legal progress!
    Makes a change, doesn't it? There would be fewer accidents on that road if our visitors left adequate spaces for those of us who need to get places to overtake safely when possible and engaged brain to realise not everyone is on holiday!
    I don’t know the road in question but I agree in general. I am often not in a rush (though not dawdling) and I do everything I can to facilitate someone who wants to overtake me - move left, make sure there is a large gap in front of me, ease off the gas etc. I have no issue with being overtaken myself but I worry about the first time someone has an issue with being overtaken by me on a single-lane-each-way road and speeds up or does something similarly dangerous. It has not happened yet but a lot of people have said it is a very common occurrence in Britain!
    Originally Posted by Drivingforfun;n195232
    I don’t know the road in question but I agree in general. I am often not in a rush (though not dawdling) and I do everything I can to facilitate someone who wants to overtake me - move left, make sure there is a large gap in front of me, ease off the gas etc. I have no issue with being overtaken myself but I worry about the first time someone has an issue with being overtaken by me on a single-lane-each-way road and speeds up or does something similarly dangerous. It has not happened yet but a lot of people have said it is a very common occurrence in Britain!

Not happened to me in 12 years of driving.
    Originally Posted by alan1302;n195240

Not happened to me in 12 years of driving.

That’s good to hear, thanks.