Speeding ticket question

Hi.
    I've received a ticket. I have 28 days to respond.
    My husband was driving. I have responded informing them of his details.
    Question... Will he also have 28 days to respond when he receives his letter, or does he have to respond within the same timescale as me (the original 28 day window).
    Thanks.
  • 5 Replies

Good Question! We have an article here which holds info around Speeding Fines etc - https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/l...peeding-fines/ but we would recommend contacting the number on the letter to confirm. Thanks, RAC
    An offence being committed if only 1 mph above the limit is interesting - I believe one chief constable recently advocated this, presumably for 30 mph limits?
    In my latest vehicle - a 2017 model, the speedometer has no graduation on the dial between the actual nominated marks. So, at +1 mph, the needle would barely be off the actual mark. So does this CC regard a driver's careful scrutiny of the speedometer to be more important than a quick glance before returning to watching the road ahead? The obvious end game being to trap more drivers.
    Originally Posted by lauwilli6;n194681
    Good Question! We have an article here which holds info around Speeding Fines etc - https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/l...peeding-fines/ but we would recommend contacting the number on the letter to confirm. Thanks, RAC

There is at least one error in that article, i.e. "Those who already have points are rarely offered this opportunity." (to take a speed awareness course).

Having a clean licence is not one of the criteria for offering a course:

"To be eligible you must meet this criteria
    • you admit to being the driver of the vehicle and this is received by us within 42 days of the date of the offence
    • you haven't attended a Speed Awareness course within the last three years
    • the speed you were travelling at the time of the offence must fall within the acceptable speed range (Speed limit + 10% + 9mph). For example, in a 30 mph limit – you could attend a course up to 42mph inclusive."
    Hi Beelabub, we will feed this back to our content team who will take a look and review. Thanks for your feedback!. RAC
    Originally Posted by Cybes100;n194676
    Hi.
    I've received a ticket. I have 28 days to respond.
    My husband was driving. I have responded informing them of his details.
    Question... Will he also have 28 days to respond when he receives his letter, or does he have to respond within the same timescale as me (the original 28 day window).
    Thanks.

AFAIK he gets another 28 days - it will say on his letter anyway. This begs the question of why it matters? If you put it off to the last minute, there is the possibility that you will forget or lose the form. I would respond straight away to avoid the possibility of a further offence of failing to provide the details.