New to me car

It’s time for me to find a replacement for my 2007 Kia Sportage. It still has plenty of life in it, just not the kind of life that I need it for. (Sorry about bad grammar!) It’ll be a great car for someone who isn’t going to need to drive off-road on a regular basis. Considering it’s a 2007 car with 77k on the clock, it’s got a lot of features that my 2007 Freelander didn’t have and I’ve got some interest locally.

However, I need to find a new to me used car, and that’s not too easy when you live on a Scottish island! Plus, the features/different configurations on various modern cars are now so confusing and so’s the insurance and VED costs that it leaves me confused. And frankly, I find that there are still sales people who assume all female drivers just want runabouts and aren’t necessarily people who love driving!!

I do about 7 – 8,000 miles a year on average – use the bus for daily shopping – but that’s the limit as to visit friends elsewhere on island, you have to drive as no public transport. Driving on island probably equates to 2k a year on single track roads. The remainder of my mileage is on mainly twisty A roads and less than 1k on motorways.

I have to have a vehicle with off-road capability and, ideally, fold flat back seats. I don’t give a darn about sat navs, superb sound systems etc. but do need two auxiliary power sockets and it must have a full spare wheel. Manual preferred. Any suggestions what I should be considering?
  • 14 Replies

How about a VW Tiguan? If it says 4 motion on the badge then its the 4 wheel drive version. Petrol or diesel and manual box available. Don't know about the spare (probably a space saver) but VWs usually come with power sockets. Here's Whatcar's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpHyuKIosyU
    I am in a similar position r.e. the single track roads and sometimes driving off the road, but love driving and want something fun.

I concluded, if I had the funds, a Ford Focus RS would be the perfect car. :D

It is a 4WD rally car so ticks all the correct boxes

But in all seriousness I hope you find something suitable. What about a Defender?
    Hometune, Had a look at that and did some research. Apparently, they're not too good at going through deep muddy, potholed tracks when you have one wheel in the air - since this is quite a common occurrence in my travels, I'm a bit wary.

Drivingforfun - I wish! I love Defenders, ever since I drove a long wheel base one back in 1972 when working in the Outer Hebrides.
    You're a hard woman to please :D
    Okay, how about a Subaru Forester? Otherwise you might be choosing another Freelander?
    Currently looking at them, Hometune. Just taken a Honda CR-V out (belongs to friend who also rallies) and was quite impressed - it passed the pothole and mud test. Now to sweet talk our lovely lifeboat engineer to allowing to try out his Forester!! Someone suggested a Ford Kuga - but I had a look at the clearance and it's lower than the Kia. Of course, I could get a younger Kia but getting a bit confused with the various specifications!:(
    This has gotten me looking at Land Rovers now!!
    I still am keeping them in mind, Drivingforfun!
    Bit disappointed by responses!
    Do you mean you failed to sweet talk the lifeboat engineer FJ? I could not believe that possible........ :D
    Originally Posted by Hometune;n194916
    Do you mean you failed to sweet talk the lifeboat engineer FJ? I could not believe that possible........ :D

Haven't been down there this week, Hometune, got a wee thump from a a vehicle reversing onto the pavement without looking. Back and right knee a bit damaged; today is first time I've been able to sit at the pc!
    Get well soon then FJ. :)
    Now back on the road and have driven friend's Subaru Boxer Outback - yes, was allowed out off-road! Not bad at all!

Well fed up with Kia - asked what the modern day equivalent to my 2007 Sportage was - got an acknowledgement but NO reply after five days! If no response when back on island Monday - complaint to the top going in - do they want to sell cars?
    With a post like this you must be about to go out of business. :rolleyes: