RAC Satnav support - including Updated Maps / Safety Camera Updates

In response to a number of queries about this on the forum, here's some information that I hope will help.
    Quarter 3, 2008 mapping data is now available to purchase from the help line 01302 720006 for both the RAC200 and RAC215, priced at £29.99

The update comes as a CD (similar to the one you got in the box when you purchased the sat nav). The new software replaces your old mapping data with the latest available from Route66.

Please note this is for RAC200 and RAC215 UK mapping. Other models and other countries will follow in due course.

For updated safety camera information, please visit www.66.com

There is more information, including contact details for the manufacturers, NuTool available at
    http://www.rac.co.uk/web/racshop/in_...igation/safety

I hope this helps answer some of the questions that have been posted recently.
  • 413 Replies

Well done Mike and thanks very much for your help, its good to see that RAC are taking responsibility for their product, even if it is made under license)
    I will look forward to receiving the updates at the end of the year, Goodun;)
    Cheers, Smudger.
    Hi Mike, can you specify which files need to be downloaded from the 66 site and what they come under
    Hi Mike, can you specify which files need to be downloaded from the 66 site and what they come under

I believe the link you need is
    http://www.66.com/route66/support.ph...K&sec=1&ssec=2 as this is the link shown at http://www.rac.co.uk/web/racshop/in_...igation/safety
    Thanks for that Mike, one question though about these updates that you said were coming out at the end of the year. Will they be New Road updates, or just safety camera ones?
    As mentioned earlier, the screen on my RAC200 went blank as I approached the Forth Road Bridge, as they are building new approach roads to it. It wasn't until I was half way across it that the screen came back on again?
    Cheers, Smudger.
    Smudger

The safety database is updated almost daily and is absolutely free of charge to all RAC satnav owners for life.

Mapping updates will be available annually in the fourth quarter and runs a year behind. I'll try to explain:

The technically minded amongst you will know that RAC satnavs already sold are programmed with Quarter 2 2006 mapping data. So now that we are in the fourth quarter of 2007 the Quarter 4 2006 mapping data will be released. The technically minded amongst you will now also agree that 6 months worth of mapping hardly seems worth it as very little will have changed (relatively speaking).

I may be a little vague on this but I am waiting for the Route66 web launch mentioned in my introduction. You have my word that any mapping updates that become available and exactly how to get them will be revealed to this forum before anywhere else.

Andrew
    RAC SATNAV TEAM
    Many thanks for that Andrew, I am sure I speak for all the others on here, who had been asking about it, when I say a big thanks for that!
    I also liked to read that part when you mentioned that instructions would also be given in how to install them, when these updates become available, as I searched the instruction disc that came with it. for such information, but nothing was written about that? I will keep an eye out for the updates to be posted on here, thanks again.
    Cheers, Smudger.
    The RAC page of the Route66 website is now operational.

http://www.66.com/rac/

The site offers information on all of the RAC range. There is already a downloadable version of the user manual and, of course, the safety camera database update file.

Keep your eyes on the site for anything new in the future.

Andrew
    RAC SATNAV TEAM
    Hey! things are looking good now, a far cry from the first posts on here regards to the RAC200 and other models;)

Now we have access to these camera updates, how about some installation instructions for the folk who don't have the "memory card slot" on their computers? As it must be very different for them to install them?

(The instruction are good for the folk who have memory card slots on their computers)
    Cheers, Smudger.
    Hi all

Hey! things are looking good now, a far cry from the first posts on here regards to the RAC200 and other models;)

Now we have access to these camera updates, how about some installation instructions for the folk who don't have the "memory card slot" on their computers? As it must be very different for them to install them?

(The instruction are good for the folk who have memory card slots on their computers)
    Cheers, Smudger.

Buy a SD Card Reader, example E-Bay 0.01p + £3.99 p&p make sure it comes or get a USB cable A - micro B type then plug and play / pray
    Let the computer see the new drive/s and then update or better still make a new copy on a NEW SD card update all info - updates and keep the ordinal as reserve.

Dave;):)
    Thanks for that Dave, that will help the folk who do not have the card slot on their lap-tops. I installed the last safety camera update no problems, in fact it was a lot easier than I anticipated;)
    Cheers, Smudger.
    vicessa

Hi I've just received a new RAC200 UK and so far very pleased. I've been reading through the post's on this product, and especially regarding Camera updates and the cost of the Europe map (SD Card). Someone, you? must know the cost of these items? You have directed us to route66's site for free Camera updates but I'm damned if I can find any reference to it on the site!

Can you help please?
    Thanks for that Dave, that will help the folk who do not have the card slot on their lap-tops. I installed the last safety camera update no problems, in fact it was a lot easier than I anticipated;)
    Cheers, Smudger.
    Hi where are the camera updates located please??
    Vicessa, I have no experience of playing with Sat Nav, but this is the link previously given
    http://www.66.com/route66/support.ph...K&sec=1&ssec=2
    the link is 66.com/rac it should be quite easy to follow from there.
    Hunappy from Huncoat

Thanks for the reply. I've managed to find the download and update the card.

I've also read that the European SD card is £80.00. Is someone having a laugh? The card (2Gb) has a retail value £6.50+ and a download of the data could/should be around £20.00, based on typical software/game downloads.

If your correspondents think this is good value, they need to get out more, and realise the true value of goods online.
    Thanks for the reply. I've managed to find the download and update the card.

I've also read that the European SD card is £80.00. Is someone having a laugh? The card (2Gb) has a retail value £6.50+ and a download of the data could/should be around £20.00, based on typical software/game downloads.

If your correspondents think this is good value, they need to get out more, and realise the true value of goods online.

:mad:

The UK maps are about £30 i think, so to get maps for the rest of Europe for £80 seems like a relative bargain!

I don't think getting out more helps people realise the true cost of a European map. Depends where you go I suppose.
    SATnav 200 Safety Camer UPdate

Is it possible to get a more detailed set of instructions on howe to update safety camera information. I have downloaded route 66 file but have no idea as to how to transfer data to SD card. Satnave 200.Help!!
    Hi Fiddler, The full instructions to D/Load and install them is one the site,
    http://www.66.com/route66/support.ph...K&sec=1&ssec=2 there. But basically all you have to do is, insert the SD card into the slot on your computer (once you have removed it from the sat-nav unit) Once its loaded a page will pop up, then all you have to do is follow the instructions.
    Its exactly the same as transferring photos from your digital camera, it really is easy if you follow the steps as they are written. I was a bit wary to do it at first, but like I say, it is easy, honest;)
    Cheers, Smudger.
    The RAC page of the Route66 website is now operational.

http://www.66.com/rac/

The site offers information on all of the RAC range. There is already a downloadable version of the user manual and, of course, the safety camera database update file.

Keep your eyes on the site for anything new in the future.

Andrew
    RAC SATNAV TEAM

I think it may be an idea if the latest camera updates are checked, for some time I have been using other means for the updates, but decided to have a look at the RAC updates.
    There appear to be many error in the sout Essex area E.G

Cowley Road, Lat 51.53786 Long 0.48236 shown In field south Essex

Great chertsey Road, shown to the left of M25 near Dartford Tunnel

Some of those shown in Thames Estuary off Canvey Island

51.50564 0.567444
    51.50008 0.57175
    51.50194 0.585556

These are only a few of those I found, it appears the minus sign is missing.
    Can I please remind you all to remember that the downloading of copyright material through file sharing networks is illegal and not condoned on this forum. Any users found to be sharing links to BitTorrent or other sites for such material WILL find themselves suspended from the forum.
    Satnav200

Hi All,

I am still nonplussed regarding safety camera update. Should the route66 update exe file be loaded directly onto the SD card and double clicked on or what? I have tried that but notice no difference to information held under pois. Perhaps I have the latest camera information already. Any clues as I am losing the will to live.

Cheers

Dave
    I have noted comments about the updated maps being available later this year. Since we have only 2 weeks remaining of this year, how much later are we talking about.
    Satnav200

Hi All,

I am still nonplussed regarding safety camera update. Should the route66 update exe file be loaded directly onto the SD card and double clicked on or what? I have tried that but notice no difference to information held under pois. Perhaps I have the latest camera information already. Any clues as I am losing the will to live.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,assuming you have not allready downloaded the update, first d/load the safety camera updater from here http://www.66.com/route66/support.ph...K&sec=1&ssec=2 (scroll down to bottom of page and you will see safety camera d/l link (4 mb in size).

When downloaded, double click on the exe file to install the update prog on your pc( install it on your pc, NOT the sat nav sd card ).

When the prog is installed, insert the rac sd card into your card reader & when the card is "recognised" by your pc, simply double click on the update icon ( the icon that was created by the install prog, NOT the exe file that you downloaded......on my pc the update prog created the icon on the desktop after install). Then the sd card will be automatically updated showing you a progress indicator as it updates the sd card. Then remove the card from the card reader and reinsert into your sat nav. Job done.

Any further probs just give a shout.:)
    Thanks Mick, everything ok now and senior moment passed. I was also wondering what the 44M file was - anyone know?

dave
    Hi all

Buy a SD Card Reader, example E-Bay 0.01p + £3.99 p&p make sure it comes or get a USB cable A - micro B type then plug and play / pray
    Let the computer see the new drive/s and then update or better still make a new copy on a NEW SD card update all info - updates and keep the ordinal as reserve.

Dave;):)

DON'T buy one from Island-Online if you have Win98 - I did and it came without the advertised CD and they've been leading me a merry dance for two months now.
    RAC200 Accessories

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can actually get accessories for the RAC200 unit? I'm travelling to the US in February next year and would like to get a US MMC card with the US maps, or at least one for Florida. I'd also like to get a cable that allows me to connect the unit to a PC, so I can update the software in terms of cameras etc. Grateful for someone's steer.

Thanks
    Southernlad
    Hi southernlad,
    Not sure about the maps for the USA, that will be one for Andrew or Mike, but I do know that you can get the USB cable you mentioned from calling the number on the unit.
    I was lucky really, as I found that the cable for my digital camera also fitted my sat-nav. You can get that cable from any computer shop, as the USB connection on the sat-nav is a universal one.
    Cheers, Smudger.
    Assuming you have not allready downloaded the update, first d/load the safety camera updater from here http://www.66.com/route66/support.ph...K&sec=1&ssec=2 (scroll down to bottom of page and you will see safety camera d/l link (4 mb in size).

When downloaded, double click on the exe file to install the update prog on your pc( install it on your pc, NOT the sat nav sd card ).

When the prog is installed, insert the rac sd card into your card reader & when the card is "recognised" by your pc, simply double click on the update icon ( the icon that was created by the install prog, NOT the exe file that you downloaded......on my pc the update prog created the icon on the desktop after install). Then the sd card will be automatically updated showing you a progress indicator as it updates the sd card. Then remove the card from the card reader and reinsert into your sat nav. Job done.

Any further probs just give a shout.:)

Thank you for clear, accurate instructions!
    The instructions on the Route 66 website are so vague, imprecise and lacking in critically important detail that they are in fact wrong/misleading.
    I suspect lots of people think they have updated the camera database but have not. The first time I did it I just double-clicked the exe. file itself (which seemed more logical than a short-cut to it when both were on the desktop) but was concerned by the lack of any flickering of the activity light on my card reader. Deleted both and tried again - but NO shortcut 2nd time. Deleted the 2nd exe. file and restored original one plus shortcut from recycle bin and it worked - or at least it said update successful.
    Was expecting to see today's date on one of the files or folders, but can't find any evidence of updated files on the card. Perhaps not looked in the right place. Anyone know?
    Copyright

Can I please remind you all to remember that the downloading of copyright material through file sharing networks is illegal and not condoned on this forum. Any users found to be sharing links to BitTorrent or other sites for such material WILL find themselves suspended from the forum.

I don't understand a single thing about this post. What copyright material are you referring to, what is bittorrent anyway.

Regards

David