Tomtom satnav updates.

I had a Tomtom satnav which gave me a lot of problems, even though it went through their repair workshop on one occasion. This satnav had free updates for life, but I binned it some time ago. Again today I received an email advising me that it was out of date and needed updating.
    So I sent a reply email that it had been destroyed and no further advisory emails were necessary.
    Got a reply telling me that my email could not be answered, (but provided a link that could), in 8 different languages!
  • 5 Replies

It's just a generic reply to that e-mail address and no one at TomTom reads them so they reply back in a generic manner to advise where you can get help.
    Obviously one email address used for multiple countries covering different languages. These normally can't be replied to.
    Never had any problem with my Tom Tom unit although it’s not been used for a while. The Tom Tom app on my phone has been brilliant though. Cost me just £40 and I’ve had it nearly 8 years now on 4 different iPhones. They stopped supporting it two years ago so as usual, the 'life' referred to in 'free updates for life' means nothing. They keep offering me a free upgrade to the Tom Tom Go app with just two years free updates but a mate has taken that offer and it’s useless. He can’t go back to the old version either.
    The built-in satnav (part of the "Infotainment" system in my new-to-me VW) refers to the satnav as Volkswagen Navigation AS. Downloading the map update material, it is called Discover Media Gen.2 (PQ) Whilst sorting details on the web., somewhere I found Kenwood referred to. It has an SD card which has to be removed for updating on the computer. I am not looking forward to my first attempt at this, and will be seeking reliable help before doing the deed.
    Ive found with satnavs, a good phone mounted in a holder is so powerful, especially with live traffic updates, my commute to work has been decreased just because of the live updates! Most of the time people can easily just download the google maps app to there phone