CAT S car on a mot

Hi. I’m currently looking to get a new car. And I seen a Peugeot 308 about a 1/3 of the price but it is a cat s - and the current owner said he has no idea what happened to the car, he’s assured me that it drives fine and that is has passed an MOT after the crash
    so would a mot check/fail if the car hadn’t been fixed properly?
  • 6 Replies

Cat 'S' cars have sustained damage to their structural frame, but can be repaired and re-sold. Here is some advice I copied that looks useful:

1. Buy the car from a dealer instead of a private seller

If you buy a Cat D car from a dealer then you have more consumer rights. A car dealer has to declare everything they know about a car; a private seller only has to make sure the car is as described.

2. Ask lots of questions

What damage did the car sustain? Are there any photos of the damage? Where were the works carried out? What parts were replaced? The insurer doesn't have to release any information about how the car became a write-off, but some well-targeted questions to the dealer can help you uncover what happened.

3. Get an inspection

This will cost you upwards of £200 – a major investment if you're attracted to the car because of its low price – but it is well worth the cost. An inspector knows what to check and could find accident damage that you’ve not spotted. The AA, RAC, Dekra and Autolign all offer inspection services that could save you from buying a potentially unsafe car.

4. Pay for a history check

Accident damage isn't the only thing you need to think about. Just as with a conventional secondhand car, a history check will tell you if the vehicle has been stolen or is subject to any outstanding finance.

5. Be wary of newer cars offering really big savings

The old adage, 'If it looks too good to be true, it probably is' definitely applies here. A really low price on a newer car could be a sign that the repair work has been done to a budget and isn't of satisfactory quality.

6. Avoid cars that could have chassis damage

Bodywork damage can be relatively easy to fix – but chassis damage will continue to cause headaches even if a repair has been attempted. You should be doubly careful if you discover the car has had a problem in this area.

If you think it is worth the gamble and you've decided to buy one, there are two further things to consider:

7. Tell your insurance company

Make sure you inform your insurance company that the car is a Cat N. It's likely that it'll have to be marked on your policy; otherwise you risk having any claim turned down in the future.

8. Investigate a warranty

Some used warranty suppliers will provide cover for Cat N cars. It could be a surprisingly cost-effective way of giving yourself some peace of mind about your new purchase and any repairs that have been made.

From your post, I am guessing that this is a 'private' sale. Personally I would walk away.
    Originally Posted by Motman;n196134
    I'd run away!

Well, you are younger and fitter than me...:)
    Cat S is the same as Cat D tho..my old Lexus was a cat D and it only had bumper damage.. Insurance paid it off and I repaired it privately. You never know..

What is Category S?

Cars written off in Category S have suffered structural damage, such as damaged bumpers, a twisted chassis or a collapsed crumple zone. The good news is that it is possible for these cars to be repaired and put back on the road; the bad news it could cost an arm and a leg.

The OP has no idea what the damage was.
    Come to think of it why don't you just do a free MOT history check on the car? I used this site which gave me the info on my write off AFTER I bought my BMW a year later. Was fuming tbh but least I got the date and was able to match MOT after the write off. Its https://www.checkcardetails.co.uk