My radio system has become dead after... (error codes and info within)

Astra 2010
    I opened my engine fuse box and it knocked the starter motor relay, the idiotic mechanic that messed with the car before took the casing off the starter motor relay, so internals were exposed. So when I knocked it when taking the cover off, it forced the relay to touch and jam, this immediately tried to star the car (turning over).

This shocked me, so I removed the negative terminal of the battery to stop it from turning over.

After 10 or 15 mins I then realised what has happened. I straightened the starter relay and put it back, I then put the negative battery terminal back.

All ok until I get in the car.

-Radio is totally dead
    -The screen above the radio is totally dead
    -Indicators don't make a noise anymore

Whacked my diagnostic machine on and I have a code:
    U0184 - Lost communication to the radio

Guess where this code is stored?
    Airbag ecu!

No other errors.

So I checked all fuses. When I mean all.. I mean literally every fuse in the car! all fuses are OK.

What do you think has happened here? and what could I do to problem solve this? Its stumped me that its stored in the airbag. But maybe because the car was turning over with the ignition out caused this problem?
  • 3 Replies

Are you using a cheap OBD code reader or have you got Vaux-com, Snap On, Launch or similar? Sounds like the body control module has lost its settings which you can reprogram with proper equipment.
    Originally Posted by Hometune;n195487
    Are you using a cheap OBD code reader or have you got Vaux-com, Snap On, Launch or similar? Sounds like the body control module has lost its settings which you can reprogram with proper equipment.
    I have both vauxcom and Launch.

Hmm.. I found a guy on another forum with the same issue, and he had to get the headunit itself and he said a silver delphi unit behind it flashed by a company.

I have a MDI too, but need to sort global tis out.

Is the car key code in the bcm or engine ecu on these? I will try program the bcm I guess first.
    Have a look in the programming section of your Vaux-com. Go to the body module and look at all the ECUs and equipment that is on your car. There will be things such as 'rear wiper', '2 speed wipers', 'radio', 'CD player' and so on. Ensure the list matches what is on the car. Once you are sure you have all the items correctly configured select program and see if that sorts it. Key programming is in the BCM and you will need the security key from a dealer (£20 approx) to get into the system.