Rear brake problem on Toyota Starlet Glanza V

Evening all,

Hope im posting this in the right section. Ive tried other forums for a solution to this but I think I need to try somewhere a bit more 'technical'.

Basically, a couple of weeks ago, my 1996 Starlet Glanza V failed its MOT on a rear brake mismatch. The passenger side was putting in 125KG of force while the drivers side was only giving a measly 50-75KG. The handbrake was also not putting in any effort on the drivers side but was fine on the passenger side.

Since then, I have rebuilt all 4 calipers. The problem caliper was still having issues so I figured the piston could have become slightly mis-shaped or something. I then moved to buying a whole new caliper unit and replacing the old one. This also had minimum effect on the problem. When changing this, I also changed all of the handbrake cables (the 2 rear and 1 front).

Just incase it helps, this is my current brake setup:

3G 10 groove front discs
    Mintex 1144 front pads
    Braided lines at the front (still need to change the rear but have got siezed bolts where the metal line meets the rubber)
    Cusco master cylinder stopper
    Rebuilt calipers (+ 1 new caliper)
    New handbrake cables
    Motul RBF600 fluid

When the guys at the garage ive been taking the car to for the MOT put it on the rollers again to see if the problem had been cured, the car jumped off when testing the front brakes but still had the same problem with the rear. Passenger side is fine, foot and handbrake; drivers side is fubared, foot and handbrake.

While I was there, the guys took the pads off and showed me that they were just a tad bit glazed. They sanded them down a bit and tried again and there was a very slight improvement.

Tonight I have fitted new pads and with the handbrake fully engaged I can still turn the wheel when the car is jacked up. Theres resistance there, but I dont have to put huge amounts of effort to get it to move. The passenger side wheel wont budge.

I have got new rear discs from Toyota but unfortunately they ordered me non-abs jobbies so there is no ABS ring on them. Could the discs be the problem?

I cannot think of anything else now and I have replaced almost every element of the rear brakes! Im almost certain it wont be a master cylinder problem because the other 3 brakes are spot on!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The cars been off the road for 3 weeks now!

Many thanks

John
  • 2 Replies

does it have a load sensor or limiter valve on the rear brake circuit, check this
    Does the rear disk have signs of excessive wear on it?