No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlap

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on this. I’ve tried searching and I’m sure it has come up before, but I must be using the wrong keywords.

My first car is starting to breakdown more and more. I love it, but it is fifteen years old. So I am buying a new car.
    I found a very nice car, low mileage and really cheap. I put a deposit on it today and I’ll pick it up on Monday.

I’m not quite sure what to do about my insurance. Should I call my current insurer to get it transferred over? Or cancel my insurance and search for a new policy?

For a period of time I’ll have both cars. I’ll probably use we buy any car, although I am tempted to donate the car to a mechanic school to take the car away.
    However it’ll take me awhile to arrange this. During the overlap period what should I do?

Can your old car be parked off the public highway?

Comment

This is a reaonably common situation. You really want to keep the current policy, to maintain your NCD. If you speak to your insurer, they will normally cover the new car (for a fee) and will probably be happy to cover both vehicles for a few weeks, possibly for a small fee. There's really little added risk for them: you can only drive one car a time.

If they won't help, then the best solution is probably to transfer the policy to the new car, and take out temporary cover as needed for the old one.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your help. I called up and had my insurance changed over, I even got a £4 refund, I thohgt I’d end up paying more!
        They said after they had changed over the policy, they would get temporary cover for my old car, giving me twenty-eight days to take care of it... however after attempting this, they said the underwriter wouldn’t do it.

Is there anywhere you would recommend for temporary cover?

I don’t have a private driveway or garage, however there is a communal garage on our street. Is that private enough to count as offroad?

The only other thing I can think of is, taking it to my garage and asking them to mind the car in their private garage for a short period.

Comment

Working...
        X