Not sure what to do

Hi all,

Had a bump earlier this evening. I was trying to turn right out of a car park and my view was blocked to the left by a few parked vans. Right was clear so I edged out to the point where my front bumper was maybe 20cm from the centre line.

Checked left and it was clear so got ready to pull forward, checked right as I moved and saw a van had decided to go around me (3/4 on the other side of the road) instead of giving way. Clipped my front bumper at about 5mph.

Not really sure I’m at fault here - I don’t think anybody would reasonably expect somebody to go on to the other side of the road to get past somebody blocking the road whilst indicating to turn.

I’ve submitted the details to my insurer and they said based on the details given its non-fault (and no damage to my vehicle so no need to do anything more).

However at the scene 4 European men jumped out of the van and said £100 and that’s that. Obviously not going to argue 4 v 1 so agreed and they left (without giving me any details or letting me give mine).

The van was a company car which I assume is kept at home by one of the men. Just not sure what to do from here - I have their number plate and they have mine, but they have no way of contacting me. Scared they’ll pocket the cash and get the company to call the police and say I left without giving details (I left after them...).

Thanks, a bit shaken up so sorry for the ramble
  • 2 Replies

Never hand over money despite threats, you've been scammed here. They definitely will not contact the police as they have committed an offence threatening you in return for £100. You must report this to the police as a criminal matter so call 101. You have the registration number so the police do have something to look at.

You can have a look to see if the vehicle is insured on the insurance database - go to Askmid - or your own insurance company can tell you.
    You have told your insurance company so that's one thing done.

So, was there any damage to the other vehicle?
    Never hand over money despite threats, you've been scammed here. They definitely will not contact the police as they have committed an offence threatening you in return for £100. You must report this to the police as a criminal matter so call 101. You have the registration number so the police do have something to look at.

You can have a look to see if the vehicle is insured on the insurance database - go to Askmid - or your own insurance company can tell you.
    You have told your insurance company so that's one thing done.

So, was there any damage to the other vehicle?

I’ve filled in the road traffic accident reporting form on the police website and have a ref number. It’s showing as insured on AskMid.

Feeling a bit calmer now knowing I’ve done everything I can. Not bothered about £100 in the grand scheme of things.