rear ended and driver left scene

Hi,
    I got rear ended coming home from work last month and i'm a bit confused about the insurance side of things. The driver drove off, but I managed to note down their registration. I told my insurer as soon as I got home and they seemed pretty happy at the time that the other person would be held liable.

The problem now is that my insurer is saying they will not hold them liable for the accident unless they write back to a letter they sent confirming they hit me. This just sounds totally rediculous to me, can anyone confirm that this is normal? Surely all the other person now needs to do is avoid saying anything and they will get away with it. I always thought that if they went into the back of you then it's always them found at fault.

I have also informed the police, but they have been little help and it's become impossible to even speak to the officer dealing with it.
  • 7 Replies

Seems a silly situation but if it were as simple as that, anybody could accuse anybody else of running into them. Perhaps you could start by giving the details to the Police as it is an offence not to stop and give details if you are involved in an accident. They will then have to investigate it and you could take it from there.
    Thanks that does make sense. I did tell the police and they said they will look into it, but have since have heard nothing more about it and every time I call they are unable to put me through to the officer in charge of the case and I never get a call back... I called this morning and was told to call back saturday when the officer is back on duty, but that puts me over the time which my insurer said they will wait for an answer from the other driver.
    Whole thing is a bit of a mess. I cant even get my insurance claim handler to give me a call back either.
    From my own personal experience and from numerous posts on here, the police couldn't care less if no-one is injured.
    That has been mine too but when I have reported damage to my parked car in the past (was given details by a passer by), I used to get letters saying that no further action would be taken but if I wanted to pursue it privately, they gave me the vehicles registered keeper details. Don’t know if they’d do that these days though.
    Yea thats the impression i'm starting to get.
    Police said they wont give out the details anymore, but the insurance has no problem tracking them down from a reg number anyway.

Hopefully my insurance will just let me cancel the claim I think and I can just be done with this. Damage to the car is quite minimal, but thats not really the point.
    It's up to you if you want to cancel the claim, but it will probably still affect next year's premium, as insurers consider all incidents, even if there is no claim or they don't end up paying anything out.
    Thanks I didnt realise it would still affect my premiums, but I should have guessed it would since they use any excuse to raise prices.
    I have just spoken to them and they said it's ok to cancel the claim and then re-open when the police have more information as they cannot get a response from the other driver. Unfortunately the call cut out right then so I will call back up and do that.
    Thanks for the help everyone.