Peugeot 206 not starting help please

Hi folks,

Im hoping i can get some expert advice on this one please.....its my daughters 2007 Peugeot 206 1.4 16v with a low 36,000 miles.

She has been driving it for over a year, it does stand for a few days occasionally and it has had a flat battery now an then.

However a week ago the car cut out while driving and wont restart? Ive done a compression test and have 210-220psi on all 4 cylinders. Fuel pump occasionally fires up and i saw 42psi at the rail but that doesn’t always seem to engage?

Ive changed the spark plugs and coil pack, checked every fuse and tried the BSI reset procedure but still no joy.

The dash lights all seem to work, eco mod is showing in the display and the rev counter does not move while cranking over? The car does beep if i leave the key in the ignition and open the door?

I only have one key with the lock buttons, the other key is a basic key.

Any ideas please

Thanks

Mark
  • 28 Replies

Use good quality jump leads or a battery pack and try. Once a battery goes flat and is not properly recharged it will become very poor. ECO mode is telling you this. If your jump leads are thin cheap ones, leave them attached to the other car, engine running for a good 10 minutes and then try.

Use good quality jump leads or a battery pack and try. Once a battery goes flat and is not properly recharged it will become very poor. ECO mode is telling you this. If your jump leads are thin cheap ones, leave them attached to the other car, engine running for a good 10 minutes and then try.

Thank you for the advice....... going to try that now and will report back asap
    No change

Tried to start it with my booster pack attached, turning over well but not firing at all? I didnt hear the fuel pump again either......
    Appreciate any other words of wisdom please.....
    After cranking for a few times are the plugs wet? Can you access the fuel pump and check for 12v when you are cranking? Use a type 501 capless sidelight bulb, unravel the wires (unless you have some noid lights) and push it into the injector wiring plugs and see if they flash when cranking. If they do flash then its not the immobiliser. If they do not then either a wiring problem or possibly immobiliser so good time to put it on a diagnostic tool. Then you can see if there is an RPM signal (crankshaft sensor), the crank and cam sensor are aligned, coolant temp (is it feasible?), injector opening time (m/s) and so on.
    Thanks again....

I’ll see if i can get to thise things today.....on the fuel pump, i have taken it out and checked fuel level and cleanliness etc but not sure about the actual performance of it? I have seen it fire up once and heard it once i think but thereafter it doesnt seem to energise. I tried with a meter and again, for less than a second i see 12v then it drops off to 8.5v and that doesnt change during cranking....i havent seen any fuel on the plugs before but can retry.

On the injector checks.....do i leave the connector on the injector and probe from the back or remove the plug and fit the wires in that?

I am happy to replace the crank sensor and fuel pump, but id like to be sure its that and not something else.

Appreciate your time on this so far.

I guess i need to get a proper Peugeot tool plugged into it as my OBD11 reader isnt picking up anything

Cheers

Mark
    8.5v is too low to make the pump work. You can check the pump does work by using your power pack. Use two pieces of wiring and connect to the pack and the other ends direct to the pump terminals (wiring plug disconnected).

Disconnect the plug from the pump - I'm guessing it has 4 wires, 2 for the pump and 2 for the sender unit - and connect your meter to the 2 with the thickest wires. Ignition off should be 0v. Ignition on and for up to 2 seconds 12v (this is fuel pump priming) then 0v. As you crank the engine over the 12v should return. Fairly sure the feed comes from the engine ECU so then you need to check for bad connections and broken/damaged wiring if you do not get these readings. A reading of 8.5v indicates a bad connection or poor supply if the car battery is giving 12v or more.

If you get as far as the injectors, disconnect the plugs and put the bulb wires in to the plugs, one by one. If it flashes each time you can rule out a lot of possibles. On many cars the fuel pump is not covered by diagnostic tools.
    Fuel pump

Excellent thanks......

I will leave it for today as believe it or not the wheel bearing on my Saab is dying too and I have a Scotland to Heathrow trip to do today via Derby! Damn cars!

I think if i focus on the fuel pump checks as you advise next, then injectors....i need to find a bulb somewhere but like the idea of forcing the 12v onto the pump and i have a fuel pressure tester too......i guess if giving it 12v makes it deliver 40 odd psi, then the pump is good, but the signal is not being sent?
    Yep, that sounds like a good idea to me. The bulbs are available in garages and car shops like Halfords and Euro Car Parts.. You want a type 501.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...oaAtjIEALw_wcB
    Feedback

Morning,

Finally back to Scotland and carried out the checks as you advised....i bought a noid light tester kit and checked the injector but no flashing when turning over the engine.

I put 12v onto the fuel pump and am getting a healthy 50psi of pressure to the rail.

So, does this point towards ECU and/or immobilser? Is the immobiliser part of the ecu or the steering column and ignition switch?

I have bought a used transponder part that fits around the key barrel but thats not arrived yet?

Thanks again

Mark
    If there is no signal to the injectors then the either the ECU has failed or the immobiliser circuit is down inside it. First disconnect the ECU multi plugs and check for corrosion. A spray with WD40 or electrical contact cleaner and reassemble. If still down then you have a choice:

1. Look on eBay and find an ECU kit (secondhand) with identical part number to your ECU. Then swap every part in the kit over.
    2. Remove your ECU and send it to ECU Testing or BBA Reman who will tell you for around £50 what is wrong with it and how much to fix.

You cannot swap parts of the system as they are all programmed together i.e. BSI (fuse box), key transponder, engine ECU etc. By going down one of the above routes no programming will be necessary (you send the key with the ECU so they can put the program back in after repair) but do NOT be tempted to fit some parts and try starting as this may make things worse.
    From what you say it is either a wiring fault between the BSI (body system interface) and the engine ECU, the engine ECU or the BSI. If its not the engine ECU (after testing) or you swap all the parts and still the same then it has to be wiring (not the best on these cars). Might be time to get someone with Peugeot Planet (or Diagbox) to interrogate the car and preferably an auto electrician who can test the wiring for you.
    Ecu

Agree with all that, many thanks for all your advice.......

Ive boxed up the ECU and will send it off to a guy I used a few years ago on a Mitsubishi GTO ECU. He does a quick tyrn around on a postage only basis if there are no faults and i think a £99 repair quote if needed.

Bloody Peugeot haha

Im away for a month in Africa and when im back it will be full speed on my Saab wheel bearing noise but will be changing a few suspension parts too....

Cheers for the good guidance on here
    Its all right for some. I'm sat here answering questions..... lol.
    Have a good trip.
    But im working in Chad! 12 hour days, no alcohol and only a 500cc Kubota to get around in! But it pays the bills and repairs the Peugeot!!
    Have you tried a new battery on this, if its anything like my old 407 that I had, they have a system that checks the voltage on crank over, and if its not above a certain voltage it wont start it, it also puts it into the eco mode if this happens as well, if you've not already tried that, it might be worth it.
    Hi Smurfy,
    Appreciate your input, yes I tried fully charging and putting a booster pack on the battery too. I had a good 12.8v on cranking.
    Its looking like ECU problem
    Cheers
    Mark

Guys,
    Im still overseas, however just to provide some updates.......I remived the ECU and got my daughter to send it away to a known testing place and they have given it a clean bill of health! damn!

So, next plan is to get the crank position sensor changed over while im away......then if that still doesn't work, I am planning to remove the BSi and send that away for testing and possibly wiping clean, then I am forced to getting Peugeot involved to reprogram the key, ecu and BSi I believe.....

Bloody Pug
    Lol, don't you love French cars. There are many mobile auto electricians who can reprogram for you so if the car is stuck at home......
    Mobile elec

Well thats a good option.......id rather not submit to the main dealer just cos Im being stubborn!

Today my daughters boyfriend re-fitted the ECU and changed the crank sensor but still it refuses to start!

When im home, i'll go over the obvious wiring in the engine bay again, earth strap seemed in great shape to the gearbox etc.

The BSi seems another total black box that I have no experience with, so I am trying to get the help of an online place but one has a full inbox and the other wont respond via email.

I did start to look at Ebay for ECU/BSi/Key/ignition barrel kit.....but even that seems fraught with mishap and the need for re-programming.....how can they make this so damn difficult!

Bring back the starting handle I say!!!
    Pp2000

Update ......

Okay after much trying and failing to get someone in Aberdeen to support a home visit and dignose my daughters car, and some helpful advice from Hometune......i've gone ahead and bought the PP2000 software and laptop, loaded and ready to save the world!

Im home on Thursday and I hope (Gods of Peugeot willing) I will have it sorted soon after!!!
    Laptop

Finally my parcel arrived with a laptop, Diagbox and all the cables!

Initially tried pp2000 route but it asked for a DAM number which i didnt know.......

So, i tried the Diagbox option, it didnt give me many menus except 1 ECU (10) which i think is engine......1 fault code P0122 throttle position sensor.......

I later got some info on the DAM number so did a global scan on PP.... faults present on other ecu,s but thats maybe part of the throttle circuit issue?

I will explore further to understand if there is a wiring problem or its as simple as a new throttle body?
    The DAM number is the build number usually on one of the suspension turrets under the bonnet or on the sticker on the post by the front driver's door. Make a note of all the faults in each ECU then erase the lot. Start the car or try to and see what comes back. You can see if the throttle body is working by looking at the live data. As you open the throttle the two voltage readings will mirror each other i.e. as one goes up from around 0.1v the other will come down from 5v. So slowly open the throttle and ensure you glitches. You should also watch the accelerator pedal at the same time in case the problem is there.
    If you come across any canbus faults don't replace a part simply on those codes, you must test them.
    Excellent thanks

So the plot thickens.....well, hopefully i can work through those screens tomorrow.....thanks for the advice again Hometune
    Morning guys

Ok, gathered all the faults, cleared them one by one and re did the global scan.

Only a fault remains on the Engine ECU but no start still

Fault is - Permanent Fault. Binding of the engine fuse bix power relay?

Hope that makes sense
    That sounds like the fuse box is faulty. This is a 407 but same idea:

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums...s-coils-20280/

In the post the OP says he powered a fuse and the car started thereby proving where the fault was. Worth a go.
    Ive bought a used item on Ebay...£20 is worth a try. Im not sure how to give that relay or feed 12v especially as im working alone and cant fix a 12v easily while i crank it over
    Feedback time

Ok guys.....feedback time

I bought a used fuse box, that arrived today! Fitted it and gave it a go.......nothing changed, no start!

So I went back to PP2000 and did a new global scan, checked and cleared all the faults, still nothing and still the same bl00dy engine binding fault fuse box error code......

So.....i was about to give up to be honest........then for the first time i sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake and it fired up! It had to be fuel related right?

So i checked the fuel pump feed again, was getting 11v on cranking (plug removed) but i never heard the pump kicking in on cranking?.....so.....and this is me owning up to maybe a school boy error....i squeezed the crimps in that terminal tighter together as i have been pushing my multi meter prob in there.......guess what, it fired up next time.......i think i may have been at least half the problem in this but better i own up as it a mistake other amateurs like me could make when testing connections

Im going to drive it for a while before handing back to my daughter, but i think ive solved everything now with a lot of help on here........

Cheers

Mark
    Excellent, its always the silly little things that are hardest to troubleshoot. We all live and learn. 😉
    Thanks Hometune, its still been a good learning experience about the trouble shooting experience, I appreciate the help