Absurdly high recovery costs

Are you kidding? £170 to go 3 miles with a broken down motorcycle because it was a "road traffic accident"? It cost me less to pay a private company to pick my bike up, and it'll still cost less even with repairs.

What blithering idiot came up with the idea of such ridiculous prices for such a simple serivce? How the shitting hell are the RAC still in business if they're charging that much? Is it just a bunch of idiots paying way too much for breakdown cover or something?

Covering costs of work hours, fuel, vehicle maintenance and any other tiny details the RAC might factor into breakdown recovery, that should be at the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM £50. But it should not cost more than 11 times more to get recovery through the service I'm paying for than getting a private garage to pick my bike up.

I can promise you I will not be returning to the RAC ever again.
    Last edited by Marc; 20-02-23 at 14:34. Reason: profanity
  • 7 Replies

The insurers should be paying for any costs due to an accident, most insurers organise recovery anyway, why would anyone use RAC, AA etc.?
    When I got knocked off my bike 5 years ago the AA came to the hospital to get my keys, went back, picked up the bike, took it home and even parked it in my garage for me.
    The insurers should be paying for any costs due to an accident, most insurers organise recovery anyway, why would anyone use RAC, AA etc.?

Because fully comp insurance doesn't come cheap for new riders, to the point it is cheaper for me to get 3rd party, fire + theft and pay £15 for a private company to come out. Which also wouldn't reset my NCB.

Point being, I'm paying for cover for when **** like this happens, so why the ungodly **** are they charging another £170 on top because of a minor, insignificant detail?
    Because fully comp insurance doesn't come cheap for new riders, to the point it is cheaper for me to get 3rd party, fire + theft and pay £15 for a private company to come out. Which also wouldn't reset my NCB.

Point being, I'm paying for cover for when **** like this happens, so why the ungodly **** are they charging another £170 on top because of a minor, insignificant detail?

Breakdown cover is for breakdowns. A road traffic accident isn't a breakdown. All very simple and as you've found out if you don't want to pay their charges then just use somewhere else.
    Covering costs of work hours, fuel, vehicle maintenance and any other tiny details the RAC might factor into breakdown recovery, that should be at the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM £50. But it should not cost more than 11 times more to get recovery through the service I'm ****ing paying for than getting a private garage to pick my bike up.

Anyone who thinks a recovery firm should drive miles,pick up a customer in a 90k recovery truck and then drive
    them somewhere for £50 is so far out of touch with reality.

You clearly have no idea of operating costs and running a business
    Third party insurance, if you are the innocent party, includes all the costs of a crash, this of course includes recovery.
    The OP has never said that a third party was involved. It looks likely that it was a solo accident, which is a good reason not to involve insurance.