Child safety on Toyota Verso (7 seater)

I've bought my first car (being delivered next week), a February 2016 registered (18,000 miles) Toyota Verso 1.8 V-matic Trend 5dr M-Drive S 7 SEATER AUTOMATIC, from my local Toyota garage. 4 years remaining on the manufacturer warranty.

There wasn't much choice when it came to newish 7 seater automatics; it was basically this or a Vauxhall Zafira or a Nissan Qashqai+2.

As I mentioned it's my first car and I'm not very au fait with these things, but whilst it has a reputation as being a safe family car I'm concerned about the following paragraph on Child Safety in the 2010 NCAP report for the Verso:

"The head of the 3 year dummy moved forward beyond the recommened limit in the frontal impact, potentially allowing
    contact with parts of the car's interior. However, the dummy was not ejected from the restraint and, in the side
    impact, both the 3 year and the 18 month dummy were properly contained by their respective seats. The passenger
    airbag can be disabled to allow a rearward facing resrtraint to be used in that seating position. Clear information is
    provided to the driver regarding the status of the airbag. A permanent label clearly warns of the dangers of using that
    seating position for a rearward facing child seat without first disabling the airbag."

I noticed that the rear seats can be rolled back or forward depending on whether the extra two in the back are being used or not. I don't know if rolling these back when fitting a 3 year old child seat would help or not with minimising risk of head contact.

I like the car and its safety features are in general very good; I just can't stop thinking about this particular point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • 2 Replies

I would say that the important thing is to buy a top quality child seat and be sure that it is fitted correctly. There is no 100% safe way to transport a child in a car; all we can do is be sensible. The quality of your driving will have more bearing on their safety and comfort than the position of the seats.

Most of the regulars on this forum were driven around on the back seats of cars without even a seatbelt to protect us. Enjoy your new car and try to stop worrying.