Should I buy a car that is SORN?

So tomorrow I might be going to look at a car, 2005 Ford Fusion with an automatic gearbox.
    This could be my first car and I literally know only the basics oil, coolant, petrol etc.

The car is SORN. The owner says it is because he bought a new car 2 weeks ago but in the advert he says "it has just centre/rear exhaust and 2 front coil springs so drives like new." Is it usual people repair those sorts of things when buying a new car and selling the old one? I was of the impression people don't fix things and sell them and hope no one notices and I have a good reason to, I bought a Nissan Micra when I was still learning to drive and my dad drove it for me. On the test drive it was okay and he said it felt fine but then on the way home the brakes failed and the gearbox shredded itself the garage that looked at it said it had been bodged up to last a few miles at most. It was in the Scrap Yard the following day. So I know a test drive shouldn't be the only deciding factor. :D

It has a valid MOT until September and an "extensive service history." and I will be able to drive it up and down the driveway. but I doubt I will be able to test the Gear Box out properly.

Any tips on what to look out for/questions I should ask will be greatly appreciated :)
  • 6 Replies

Automatic Ford fusions have plenty of problems with the gearbox, or more correctly, the electrics that control the gearbox - I nearly got one for my mum until I started reading up on them. Apart from that, if you know very little about cars, I’d strongly advise you not to buy a car privately that you can’t even have a proper road test in.
    My tip is to save up and buy a car from a reputable garage. That way you are protected by law if anything goes seriously wrong in the first few months. If you see one you like, then get on the internet and like Motman above, do your research; not just on one site, but on several to build up a picture of reliability, costs of ownership and what to look for.
    Thanks guys.

I decided not to go, everyone advised against it and I wasn't sure in the first place.

Hm do you think it's possible to forget how to drive? I haven't drove since passing my test 3 weeks ago :D
    It depends how much driving you did before you stopped.

If you are unsure, you could contact a driving school and arrange a refresher session.
    I had about 100 hours of lessons, it would have been less but I had to wait 3 months for a test. I dabbled in driving a few times before but never really got into it. I think this is double the national average.
    I think if I haven't found a car in a month from now a refresher wouldn't be a bad idea :)
    The last post was 15 months ago....... :rolleyes: