Complete a survey for a chance to win £100 of M&S vouchers.
Sales enquiries: 0844 891 3111

Search for advice


Driving in Sweden

If you're driving in Sweden your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence - both the photo and paper parts
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • Appropriate seat restraints for any children under 7

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car)
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company
  • Winter tyres, if you're driving between December and March

Other things you should know:

  • You won't generally have to pay motorway tolls
  • Unleaded petrol and diesel are readily available. LPG is sold at a handful of stations
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 90kph on open roads and 110kph on motorways
  • If you're caught committing a motoring offence you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • The drink driving limit is 20mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood (much less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml)
  • It's illegal to use radar detection equipment
  • You must use dipped headlights at all times
  • Trams have priority when driving through Sweden
  • Give way to traffic coming from the right, unless road signs tell you otherwise
  • If you're in a built-up area, you can only use your horn in cases of extreme danger. Outside these areas, use your horn or headlights to let other drivers know you intend to overtake

Useful guides and maps

Michelin - National Map Scandinavia and Finland
Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office, www.nationaldrivesafe.co.uk, www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk.

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

Over 591,000 British nationals visited Sweden in 2012. Most visits are trouble-free. If you need to contact the emergency services in Sweden call 112.

There is a general threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go - fco.gov.uk/travel
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more