Sales enquiries: 0330 159 1111

Search for advice


Driving in Slovak Republic

If you're driving in Slovakia your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence 
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A first aid kit

If you're taking your own car and it has damaged bodywork, get this officially certified when you enter Slovakia, otherwise you'll have difficulty getting the go-ahead to take your car out of the country.

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car)
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company
  • Winter tyres if you might be driving in severe weather conditions. It's not compulsory to have them, but if you're in an accident and your car has normal tyres, you'll be deemed to be at fault

Other things you should know:

  • You will have to pay tolls for some motorways - you'll be given a sticker to put in your car as proof of payment
  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available, along with a lead-replacement additive
  • The speed limit is 60kph in built-up areas, 90kph on open roads and 130kph on motorways
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • The drink driving limit zero - don't drink at all before driving through Slovakia
  • You must use dipped headlights at all times
  • Give priority to traffic coming from the right
  • Children under age 12 and less than 1.5m tall are not allowed to travel in the front seats
  • It's illegal to carry or use any radar detection equipment

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

Download  a copy of our full Driving Abroad report.

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office,

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

This service is currently unavailable
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more