Complete a survey for a chance to win £100 of M&S vouchers.
Sales enquiries: 0844 891 3111

Search for advice


Driving in Norway

If you're driving in Norway your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence - both the photo and paper parts
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - unless your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • At least 3mm of tyre tread, from October to March
  • Winter tyres between November and March, if your hire car is registered in Norway

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car)
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit
  • A reflective jacket
  • A Camping Card International to give you additional proof of identity, third party liability insurance, plus discounts at a wide range of campsites and tourist attractions. Find out more here
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company

Other things you should know:

  • You'll have to pay motorway tolls to enter Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger and Trondheim
  • Petrol and diesel are readily available. LPG isn't so widely sold. You can't buy leaded petrol but you can get Super Leaded (98 Octane). Don't use diesel from red pumps as this is reserved for farmers and will damage your engine
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 80kph on open roads and 90kph on motorways
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • The drink driving limit is 20mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood (much less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml)
  • It's illegal to use radar detection equipment
  • You must use dipped headlights at all times, when driving through Norway
  • In mountainous areas, you must give priority to cars coming downhill by reversing into a parking bay. It's illegal to go off-road
  • Trams have priority
  • You must overtake trams on the right, unless it's a one-way street
  • Give way to traffic coming from the right, unless you see road signs showing a yellow diamond
  • Traffic already on a roundabout has priority

Useful guides and maps

Michelin - National Map Scandinavia and Finland
Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office, www.nationaldrivesafe.co.uk, www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk, www.drive-alive.co.uk.

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

Around 581,000 British nationals visit Norway every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

There is an underlying threat from terrorism

Petty crime does occur but at a low level compared to other European countries. See Crime

There has been an increase in avalanche activity. Follow local advice, stay on piste and only ski in recommended areas.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

You should apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you travel. If you already have an EHIC, make sure it hasn’t expired. Some medical costs aren’t covered by the EHIC so you should take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go - fco.gov.uk/travel
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more