Sales enquiries: 0330 159 1111

Search for advice


Driving in Luxembourg

If you're driving in Luxembourg your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - unless your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate and V5 registration document or hire car paperwork
  • Your passport - it's surprisingly easy to drive into other countries without realising it
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car)
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit
  • A Camping Card International to give you additional proof of identity, third party liability insurance, plus discounts at a wide range of campsites and tourist attractions. Find out more here
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company

Other things you should know:

  • You don't have to pay motorway tolls in Luxembourg
  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available. You won't be able to find lead replacement petrol (LRP) but you can buy a lead replacement additive to put in your fuel tank
  • Children under age 3 must use an appropriate seat restraint at all times
  • Children weighing over 36kg can use the lap part of an adult seat belt
  • Children up to 1.5m tall can't travel in the front seat without a suitable seat restraint
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 90kph on open roads and 130kph on motorways - if you've held your licence for fewer than two years, you shouldn't exceed 70kph
  • If you're caught committing a motoring offence whilst driving through Luxembourg, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • If you're in a built-up area, you can only use your horn in cases of extreme danger
  • Buses, including school buses, have right of way when pulling out
  • On steep roads, traffic driving uphill has priority
  • The drink driving limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - the same as in the UK

Useful guides and maps

Michelin - National Map Luxembourg
Michelin - National Map Benelux
Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

Download  a copy of our full Driving Abroad report.

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office,,

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

There is an underlying threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

Around 120,000 British nationals visit Luxembourg every year (Source: STATEC (Statistics Office in Luxembourg). Most visits are trouble-free.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.

All vehicles must have winter tyres when temperatures are zero or below. See Road travel

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go -
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more