Complete a survey for a chance to win £100 of M&S vouchers.
Sales enquiries: 0844 891 3111

Search for advice


Driving in Hungary

If you're driving in Hungary your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence - both the photo and paper parts. If you don't have a photo card licence, you'll need an International Driving Permit - find out more here
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A first aid kit
  • A reflective jacket within reach inside the car. You'll need to wear this if you stop for any reason outside built-up areas, even if you're just setting up a warning triangle

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car)
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company

Other things you should know:

  • You will have to pay tolls for some motorways - you'll be given a sticker to put in your car as proof of payment
  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available. You can't get leaded petrol
  • Speed limits vary across Hungary, so check the signposts for maximum speeds
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence whilst driving through Hungary, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • The drink driving limit is zero - so there must be no alcohol in your blood when driving
  • You must use dipped headlights during the day outside built-up areas
  • It's illegal to use full-beam lights in built-up areas at night
  • You shouldn't use your horn except in cases of extreme danger
  • Children less than 1.5m tall can't sit in the front unless they have an appropriate seat restraint
  • If you're taking your own car to Hungary and the body is damaged, it's wise to get a police report confirming the damage when you enter the country - otherwise, police will query this with you when you leave

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office, www.nationaldrivesafe.co.uk, www.drive-alive.co.uk.

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

A parliamentary election will take place on 6 April 2014. There are occasional political demonstrations in Budapest and elsewhere in the country. These tend to take place on or close to important national holidays with a political relevance. Peaceful political demonstrations have occasionally ended in violence. As a precaution you should avoid all political demonstrations.

There is a low threat from terrorism. See Terrorism.

Around 400,000 British nationals visit Hungary each year.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go - fco.gov.uk/travel
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more