Complete a survey for a chance to win £100 of M&S vouchers.
Sales enquiries: 0844 891 3111

Search for advice


Driving in Finland

RAC can cover you against vehicle breakdown in Europe, with options available to suit your travelling requirements.

RAC European Breakdown Cover Basic and Comprehensive cover provides you with a wide range of benefits.

To supplement European Breakdown Cover, RAC also offer travel insurance. Cover includes medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings, amongst many other benefits.

Listed below are two areas for you to look through before you travel

  • Items you are required to carry
  • Recommended and useful products

If you're driving in Finland your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK Driving Licence is required
  • A driver's minimum age is 18
  • A Camping Card International is recommended
  • A Green Card and Motor Insurance certificate is recommended. Motorists should carry evidence of motor insurance (insurance certificate). A Green Card provides additional proof that the minimum legal third party cover is held. For further advice please contact your insurance company
  • UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) are no longer obliged to affix a GB sticker to the rear of the vehicle when driving in Finland. A GB sign is still required when travelling outside the European Union
  • A crash helmet when riding a motorcycle through Finland is compulsory
  • Wearing your seat belt is compulsory
  • No motorway tolls charged
  • Radar detector devices are prohibited
  • Headlights must be used all year round both day and night
  • Winter tyres are compulsory between December and March
  • Petrol & diesel are available. Leaded petrol no longer available in Finland. Certain pumps dispensing unleaded (99 Octane) petrol contain a special additive, for vehicles requiring leaded petrol
  • LPG is not available

Compulsory products

  • A warning triangle
  • Headlamp converters

Recommended products

  • Spare bulbs
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit

Publications and maps

Michelin - National Map Scandinavia and Finland
Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

There is a low threat from terrorism. See Terrorism.

Most visits to Finland are trouble-free.

If you need to contact the emergency services call 112.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go - fco.gov.uk/travel
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more