Complete a survey for a chance to win £100 of M&S vouchers.
Sales enquiries: 0844 891 3111

Search for advice


Driving in Estonia

If you're driving in Estonia your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence - both the photo and paper parts
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • Your V5 registration document if you're driving your own car
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Winter tyres, from December to February. It's illegal to use them from May to September

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (you must have front seatbelts, rear seatbelts must be worn where available)

It's a good idea to have:

  • A crash helmet to wear if you're riding a motorcycle
  • Spare bulbs

Other things you should know:

  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available
  • Children too small to wear seatbelts must have an appropriate seat restraint, when driving through Estonia
  • Speed limits vary so they're are signposted - but if you've held your licence for fewer than two years you mustn't drive faster than 90kph outside built-up areas, regardless of the limit
  • The drink driving limit is zero - don't drink at all before driving
  • You must use dipped headlights at all times
  • You're not allowed to overtake a tram that has stopped to let passengers on or off

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources: Foreign & Commonwealth Office, www.nationaldrivesafe.co.uk

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

There is a low threat from terrorism. See Terrorism.

You must have the original V5 C (Vehicle Registration Document) if you are driving into Estonia. See Road travel.

Over 35,000 British tourists visit Estonia every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

Take sensible precautions against petty crime. See Crime.

If you need to contact the emergency services call 112.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go - fco.gov.uk/travel
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more