Sales enquiries: 0844 891 3111


Search for advice


Driving in Croatia

If you're driving in Croatia your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid, full UK driving licence - both the photo and paper parts
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A first aid kit
  • A reflective jacket within easy reach inside the car. You'll need to wear this if you stop for any reason outside built-up areas, even if you're just setting up a warning triangle
  • A tow bar and tow rope

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt at all times
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • A fire extinguisher
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company
  • Winter tyres, if you're driving between November - April

Other things you should know:

  • Not all insurers cover driving in Croatia so check before you go - if yours doesn't, you can buy temporary cover at the main border crossings and some smaller crossings
  • You might have to pay motorway tolls, depending where you travel within Croatia
  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available at most filling stations, along with Super leaded (98 Octane)
  • Children under age 12 can't travel in the front seat
  • The drink driving limit is zero - so there must be no alcohol in your blood when driving
  • Never go off-road in rural areas without an experienced guide ' you run the risk of coming across landmines and unexploded devices
  • You must use dipped headlights at all times
  • You can get emergency road advice in English by dialling 987. During the tourist season you can also get traffic updates at 98.5FM
  • Speed limits vary across Croatia, so check the signposts for maximum speeds
  • Cars coming onto a roundabout have right of way
  • School buses and public transport vehicles always have right of way when pulling out
  • Don't drive on tram lines
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, whilst driving through Croatia, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • You should only use your horn in an emergency
  • In mountainous areas you have right of way driving uphill
  • There have been reports of gangs pulling over at the side of the road and pretending to be in trouble, then robbing those who stop to help them - so be careful!

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office,

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

Due to high rainfall, some areas in Croatia have been affected by floods and some roads are closed. For more information visit the Croatian Automobile Club (HAC) website.

Carry your passport with you at all times. You must be able to show some form of identification if required, including when checking into hotels. See Local laws and customs

Land mines are still a danger in some isolated areas. See Local travel

Around 400,000 British nationals visit Croatia every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

There is an underlying threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

You should apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you travel. If you already have an EHIC, make sure it hasn’t expired. See Health

You should also take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go -
This service is currently unavailable
Breakdown Cover
Choose a level of cover from just £27.99 a year
Breakdown Cover_img Join here
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more