Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAC doesnt answer the phone on Breakdown Assistance

We have to be realistic, on Monday 21st dec, when it snowed badly in SE, I got a puncture, while on M5 south of Bristol, over 100 miles from the problem. I was on the phone for 35 mins, when a traffic officer pulled up and told me it would probably another hour before RAC answered, it would have been 4 hours to get AA to answer. All calls go through one call centre, so if one area is busy, tough.
    The TO was very helpful and shone his torch in the right place, while I changed my own wheel, they are not allowed to do it because of ... yes health/safety
    Running empty or mis-fueling are naughty, I am sure we have all done it sometime, I have.

PS.I saw a RAC mis-fueling assist van at my local supermarket the other day, what a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by wabuk View Post
    Its easy for someone sitting in a comfy, warm office talking into headset while sipping cuppacino from coffee machine to say... "Hey, everyone is having that problem... theres nothing we can do".... talk about not being able to see things in perspective!!!

OK I can see that you're angry, but as someone that sits at a desk dealing with people who breakdown on the motorways, I know what the RAC & AA call centres (in fact all of them!) are having to put up with over this period.
    I also take exception to your remarks, i travel 20 miles a day to work, starting out at 5am, and recently have done O/T within 5 mins notice due to how busy it is, in fact most of the people on the control room are doing similar.
    I didn't get a cup of anything for 6 hours, 2 days ago, and then I had 10 mins for a break, that was over 12 hour shift that day, I'll bet the RAC etc call centre ops were just the same.
    Maybe the numpties who run out of fuel, or don't put enough antifreeze in their car so it "overheats" - frozen up more like it!
    Call in because their windscreen washers won't work - frozen up, or an indicator bulb has gone. These are the people who are stretching the services beyond breaking point.
    Or when you do get through, you don't have your membership card, you can't remember your reg number, you don't know where you are, meanwhile there are lots more people waiting in the telephone queue needing assistance.
    There is a big percentage of calls that are purely bad maintenance, no planning, lack of common sense, and they all come out during the holidays!!!!

If you want to swap recovery agents, be very careful, there's a LOT worse than the RAC. (I do not work for any recovery agency)

By-the-way, you've not said yet what your Breakdown actually was (that could wait for 2 days), please do tell us.
    Last edited by Biffo; 07-01-10 at 18:59.

Some people!!!!

Im a former breakdown call taker for the RAC so I know all about what the guys on the phone are going thru at this moment.
    There could be 2000 calls waiting in the queue all day throughout their shift.

As we speak my car wont start.
    I need the RAC to come out as I dont think its my battery.
    I called and was on hold, whilst holding my Auntie called me who has just finished her shift at the RAC and she said that they wont even entertain a home breakdown at the minute. Only priority breakdowns.
    So, what do I do.....nothing. Just hope I get thru in the morning!
    I understand that you are paying for the service and expect it but its just unfortunate that the time you need them is when everyone else needs them.
    If you called on a normal day you would get thru within a minute or 2 and your ETA could be as little as 30 minutes.

I would much rather a patrol go to someone who is stuck by the road, in teh night when temperatures are sub zero than to me sat in the house, nice and warm with a brew!

Think!

I know it's not ideal to hang on the phone for ages but with the amount of calls coming through it isextremly busy. As others have said there are a lot of people who don't maintain thier cars and are now suffering the consequences of that, add to that the number of people who are ringing in because the car is "stuck in the snow and ice" I mean is that really a breakdown, get a shovel and start digging, what can a patrol do in that situation, he is more than likely going to get his own van stuck and have to spend ages digging himself out.
    So to sum up if you take out the people who are stuck in the snow, have no antifreeze, run out of petrol, and call in for minor faults which they could drive the car to the local garage to have repaired, call times would be reduced.
    Oh i almost forgot one of main ones people who put the windscreen wipers on when they are stuck to the windscreen with ice and blow the fuse.
    I'll get me coat.

I would actually like to know if it is possible to put some Statistics of RAC breakdowns on this forum. Maybe it could show people that complain that most of the so called 'breakdowns' are actually self inflicted.

MrDanno, after the AA computerised the deplyment, we had access to those figures. Keys locked in car, flat battery through lights being left on. mis fuelling and out of fuels accounted for around 30 - 40% of calls. Punctures with no spare or unserviceable spare was around 5%. Of the engine cut out/starting problems, my personal experience is that about 50% of those I attended would tell me the problem had been 'known' prior to the breakdown. My personal most hated was when a warning light had come on which the driver did not understand, and on my arrival I would find the Owners Handbook still in the sealed plastic bag, and the warning light would be for the heated rear window, heated seats, heated mirror etc ie non-problematic.

I have been trying to get the RAC to answer the phone for 3 days now!! I'm getting to work by lifts from colleagues. Am I paying over 140 a year for a stupid answerphone message that tells me to call back later??

Quote Originally Posted by bdgr75 View Post
    I have been trying to get the RAC to answer the phone for 3 days now!! I'm getting to work by lifts from colleagues. Am I paying over 140 a year for a stupid answerphone message that tells me to call back later??
    Thanks for your comments though I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties trying to contact us. Due to the cold weather we have received a massive demand for our services. However, we are taking every action possible to ensure we answer your call and attend to you as quickly as possible.

I have though passed your feedback to our Customer Care Department and a Manager will be in contact with you shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
    an indicator bulb has gone.
    Whilst I agree with everything else you said, I have to take exception to this bit...I've not had to call the RAC for an indicator bulb and I do carry spares but while manufacturers continue to make changing front bulbs so difficult (mine either needs the air intake and other bits to be taken apart or wheelarch liner to be removed) then I WOULD call the RAC to change one. I can't do that much work at the roadside and let's remember, it is not lawful to drive with a light not functioning as it should!

It is perfectly legal to drive to a place of repair if you lose an indicator. It is also perfectly acceptable to use hand signals.