Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RAC doesnt answer the phone on Breakdown Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by davey_g View Post
    Whilst I agree with everything else you said, I have to take exception to this bit...I've not had to call the RAC for an indicator bulb and I do carry spares but while manufacturers continue to make changing front bulbs so difficult (mine either needs the air intake and other bits to be taken apart or wheelarch liner to be removed) then I WOULD call the RAC to change one. I can't do that much work at the roadside and let's remember, it is not lawful to drive with a light not functioning as it should!
    Well you're just the type of person that's clogged up the system!

The RAC are not a cheap replacement for you taking it to a garage for such items if you're unable or unwilling to do them yourself. As for it being illegal, that's borderline depending on which light isn't functioning, and if stopped for a light out, a PC would give you a notice to get the fault rectified by a garage within 7 DAYS!
    So clogging the recovery service up with such "non breakdown" items is an abuse of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
    Well you're just the type of person that's clogged up the system!

The RAC are not a cheap replacement for you taking it to a garage for such items if you're unable or unwilling to do them yourself. As for it being illegal, that's borderline depending on which light isn't functioning, and if stopped for a light out, a PC would give you a notice to get the fault rectified by a garage within 7 DAYS!
    So clogging the recovery service up with such "non breakdown" items is an abuse of the system.
    Come on Biffo thats not really fair.Depending on the time etc it may be best to call out your rac etc.
    Its not borderline either,it is not roadworthy if a bulb is out. Ok a number plate light is not as serious but a headlight or tail light could be.Even an indictor out could cause issues if you have had a accident.
    Also not everyone is that clued up as others when it comes to changing bulbs etc.

I think the more mechanically-savvy people are being a bit harsh on those drivers who don't know the precise functionings of the inside of a car bonnet, and who for that exact reason pay a lot of money for experts like yourselves to fix the problem for them. It seems only reasonable that if someone has paid an expensive yearly premium for many years without using it once, that when they do need it, someone should help them.

I am an expert on certain things (not cars), and I wouldn't have a go at someone who is not an expert on those subjects just because we all have different interests and motivations. Not everyone is so mechanically-minded and able to fix a car, I think people should bear this in mind.

That said, there is no excuse for running out of fuel, and it is certainly a very silly thing to misfuel or lock your keys in the boot, but we're only human and stupid accidents like that will happen, though touch wood, I have not done any of the latter two so far!

Losing the indicator bulb could be potentially dangerous, and using hand signals surely poses hazards - at night it would be very hard to see; on a busy road you don't want to get your hand smacked by an overtaking or passing vehicle; and if you're at a roundabout or complex junction you need both hands to steer and change gear, so I can understand why people whose indicator bulbs have run out have called the breakdown company. That said, the best thing is to keep spare bulbs and the car manual in the car

Quote Originally Posted by 98selitb View Post
    Not everyone is so mechanically-minded and able to fix a car, I think people should bear this in mind.

That said, there is no excuse for running out of fuel, and it is certainly a very silly thing to misfuel or lock your keys in the boot, but we're only human and stupid accidents like that will happen, though touch wood, I have not done any of the latter two so far!

Losing the indicator bulb could be potentially dangerous, and using hand signals surely poses hazards - at night it would be very hard to see; on a busy road you don't want to get your hand smacked by an overtaking or passing vehicle; and if you're at a roundabout or complex junction you need both hands to steer and change gear, so I can understand why people whose indicator bulbs have run out have called the breakdown company. That said, the best thing is to keep spare bulbs and the car manual in the car
    I agree with all of that and let's just consider that in this increasingly litigious society, having an accident when you apparently hadn't indicated because of a failed bulb could be expensive as well as dangerous.

On the last point, I DO know how to change bulbs and I DO carry a full set of spare bulbs - it's not my fault that manufacturers persist in making them inaccessible. Give me bulbs I can get to without significantly dismantling my car and I will change it!

I'm not a time-waster of someone seeking to clog up the system as suggested by some posters, which I resent, merely someone who expects to be able to drive a roadworthy car and, yes, I would drive to a garage to have it fixed if such a place were close or open - other than that I would call for the service for which I pay from the RAC. If those other posters are prepared to risk the safety of themselves and others by driving around with lights not functioning, possibly for up to seven days if one follows the advice of one poster, then I'm not! This is not an abuse of service in my opinion, it's one of road safety.

It is not always illlegal to drive with no indicators. You are allowed to drive to a place of repair, which could be home or a workshop. As to having a collision because of no indicators, just open the window and give correct hand signals.

Over the Christmas period that we've been talking about, we've had horrendous weather conditions, especially up here in the Northwest. The Police, Highways Agency, Motoring organisations etc were telling people not to drive unless their journey was absolutely neccessary.
    Normally, the Christmas period does become considerably quieter than usual as there's not the usual rush hours etc.
    This last Christmas was, due to the weather quieter still in one respect, as most people didn't drive unless they had to, but for those that did drive, it was manic, we had lots of RTC's, quite a few serrious ones, we had to close motorways, in fact the few people out there driving really did keep us, and the recovery agencies etc busy.
    So, what am I getting at?

I have checked the system, and in our area alone, from 12:01am Christmas eve, until 12:01am on the 2nd of January, there were 76 instances of drivers running out of fuel on the motorway, with 7 of them stopping in the live c/way (having to be rescued by us or the police) 5 vehicles abandoned whilst the drivers went for fuel. (thus they become pedestrians on the motorway, which is an offence) These were only the ones that either our patrols came across, or were sent to, this doesn't include those that called their recovery and we didn't see.
    So now you can see that during that week, 71 people required the assistance of the recovery services (& ourselves) because of their own stupidity, not to mention that the majority were ill prepared for the cold weather.
    Whilst services are dealing with this type of "breakdown" they're unable to attend genuine breakdowns

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    It is perfectly legal to drive to a place of repair if you lose an indicator. It is also perfectly acceptable to use hand signals.
    One wonders how many people even know the hand signals, Rolebama? I know when driving the vintage car an awful lot could cope with the right turn signal only; slowing down and turning left seemed poorly recognised!

It's more difficult at night though. We used to have (and I still do) a flouresent jacket with reflectors down the arms as well and exaggerate the circling or slowing down signs - this could get a little complicated as it was a right hand gear change, as well!!

Ficklejade, your comment re recognizing hand signals reminded me of this.
    In the 70s, the traffic lights at Hatton Cross, south of Heathrow Airport, failed, and there was a PC doing point duty. I ended up at the front of the queue northbound heading into the Airport. I was not indicating, and I noticed the PC was looking at me as if I should be, so I gave the hand signal for heading straight over. He then stopped all traffic and came over. He asked me what I wanted. I replied that I wanted nothing of him, and he responded with "Well why did you wave me over?" I had to explain to him the relevant hand signals, and, although he still gave me a disbelieving look, went back to directing traffic.

I have just ordered a new Fiat Punto today. I asked if there was a spare and I was told there wasn't. I asked if they could get me a full size spare wheel as I drive long distances to work. If they don't provide one, i'll just keep the spare from my present car and stick with Puntos!!

Welcome to the site Punto driver, well going by the TV advert I saw, it looks like you will enough space in the back to store it.