Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAC doesnt answer the phone on Breakdown Assistance

Angry RAC doesnt answer the phone on Breakdown Assistance

Been trying to call them for 2 days, its either "Thank you for holding and we'll answer you when the next agent becomes available" or "Sorry, no one is here to take your call". Each call, I was left holding for about 2 hours and only hang up when my ears got too hot and it would amount to becoming health and safety issue. There was no answer from RAC Breakdown line at all. Thankfully I am indoor and been able to sleep at work for the past 2 days, but imagine if I was on the roadside, I would have been frozen to death.

Although RAC dont answer Breakdown Assistance call, they would happily answer Membership sign up line quicker than you can say RAC. I got through to a nice talking chap called Stuart, who told me that "There are about 800 people calling and some of them are on the road... so theres nothing we can do for you, you are in the same boat...". I asked him how come RAC have agents free to answer for new sign up, while they dont have enough agents to deal with Breakdown Assistances call... his answer was "you are in a queue and the same as everyone else". I asked him it is not acceptable from a paying customer point of view and that I would like to make a complain, he said he doesnt know what good that would do as I am in the same situation as other 800 people!!!!

Its easy for someone sitting in a comfy, warm office talking into headset while sipping cuppacino from coffee machine to say... "Hey, everyone is having that problem... theres nothing we can do".... talk about not being able to see things in perspective!!!

I'm calling RAC again and still holding on the queue... :

Maybe it's because the memberships calltakers are not trained to take breakdown calls?

You can only blame the people that don't maintain their cars properly or the average 42 drivers a day that run out of fuel on the motorway!

a large percentage of breakdowns could be prevented by a little common sense and regular vehicle checks. The most common excuse I hear is "I don't have time to check my oil and water" and my answer is always - "You'll have plenty of time to think about it when your waiting for a breakdown truck"

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    You can only blame the people that don't maintain their cars properly or the average 42 drivers a day that run out of fuel on the motorway!

a large percentage of breakdowns could be prevented by a little common sense and regular vehicle checks. The most common excuse I hear is "I don't have time to check my oil and water" and my answer is always - "You'll have plenty of time to think about it when your waiting for a breakdown truck"
    re running out of fuel on motorway,should do the same as NZ fxed penelty fine

Its not just Breakdown Services who have long waiting queues at this time of year? I queued for 40 minutes today at the local council office, just to sort out my wife's disability Blue Badge renewal?

That was after I gave up waiting over an hour for them to answer my phone call!

All I got was a recording of, "your call is important to us" bla-bla

(if it is important to you, why don't you answer it)

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    re running out of fuel on motorway,should do the same as NZ fxed penelty fine
    If everyone who ran out of fuel on a motorway was given a 100 fine I bet 98% of it would stop very quickly.

Angry Service appalling

Had the same problem. No one answered phone and I was stranded with a child by roadside. Rescued by family member who came out of work to help me. I have been a member of the RAC for 10 years and have never had to call them before. That is one hell of a lot of money for nothing. When I do need them they are not there. Begs the question 'what are we paying for?' Will definitely be looking to move to another orgainisation.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    If everyone who ran out of fuel on a motorway was given a £100 fine I bet 98% of it would stop very quickly.
    actually it's 3 points on your licence and a £60 fine for running out of fuel on a motorway in the uk (undue care and attention)

Quote Originally Posted by danielsgirl8 View Post
    Had the same problem. No one answered phone and I was stranded with a child by roadside. Rescued by family member who came out of work to help me. I have been a member of the RAC for 10 years and have never had to call them before. That is one hell of a lot of money for nothing. When I do need them they are not there. Begs the question 'what are we paying for?' Will definitely be looking to move to another orgainisation.
    During bad weather all breakdown services are 'snowed under' with calls. I now someone that had to wait 4 hours for Breakdown and another few hours for a recovery truck to transport his car - That was not the RAC but, Their main rival. If people had their cars properly maintained it would reduce calls enormously.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepie View Post
    actually it's 3 points on your licence and a £60 fine for running out of fuel on a motorway in the uk (undue care and attention)
    It may be but, I've never heard of anyone being done for it - maybe the breakdown services should pass on the details of people who run out of fuel on a motorway? Anything to deter this problem would be good in my opinion. I suppose the problem is there will be the odd genuine case of people driving a car which they don't know has a defective gauge.

The years I worked for the AA, the motorway emergency boxes were manned by the Police, so they were the first point of contact, and they were aware of just how many drivers run out of fuel on motorways. I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it. (Quite a nummber of motorists believed that it was the AA's responsibility to donate them enough fuel to continue their journey, and I met a few who deliberately drove onto motorways to run out because of this belief.)