Thread: 2001 Ford Focus TDCI Water Pump

Exclamation 2001 Ford Focus TDCI Water Pump

Hi all,

Wonder if you can help me.

I started my Focus this morning and after a minute my fan belt gave loads of smoke and snapped, I thought that the smoke was the snapped belt rubbing on something and burning but it wasn’t, on further investigation I found the water pump wheel wasn’t turning after I fitted the new belt on. The new belt was rubbing along the wheel of the pump which I now know was the cause of the belt breaking.

Now for the real problem, I have bought a new pump before the motor factors closed and will have to fix it tomorrow, New Years Day, oh joy...but it seems the only way to get the old pump out and a new one in is by raising the engine or lowering the engine. I have got the car on an axle stand and the engine mount off and the engine is sitting on the jack, but to be honest I'm pretty scared to lift or lower it incase I wreck something else. Can someone help me out?

Worse thing is, I bought the car 2 days ago and run round all day yesterday getting insurance changed over and taxed as my old cars fuel injector went and now I'm stuck again.

I would have left it in to a garage but just paid £1500 for it and another £100 for tax and don’t have any money left, maybe just enough to get new anti freeze as I will have to drain the anti freeze out that’s in it when I take the pump out.

Was also wondering would I be safer replacing the timing belt as well now that I have everything took apart, I know the water pump in this model is nothing to do with the timing belt but it is due to be changed and thought I may as well do it while I'm this far. That if I ever get the water pump fixed first….lol.

Thanks

Are you sure the pump is not just frozen up due to no antifreeze in the system ?

Quote Originally Posted by conman View Post
    I will have to drain the anti freeze out that is in it when I take the pump out.
    There is antifreeze in it mate.

Ok, I got the water pump in today and such a job that was. Filled with 2 bottles of anti freeze and topped on up with water. Put the serpentine belt on and there is a bit off and rattley sliping noise coming from somewhere. I was thinking because the new belt was on when the old water pump wasnt turning would the new belt have also stretched as it got really hot sliding over the broken water pump pully, as didnt realize the water pump wasnt turning until a while after. Im going to get another belt tomorrow and try it and see if it cures it but just thought id ask anyways.

I also took off the timing belt cover and the timing belt looks like it has been recently done, no cracks or wear and it still has the ford printed on as well plus a mate said it must be good at the pressure it took to snap the sepintine belt would have more than likely took the timing belt with it.

Any thoughts guys?

I am not sure if I am reading your posts right, but you definitely need to replace the serpentine belt. If it was slipping to the extent you describe, it will probably have 'glazed'.

Thanks for your answer mate, will replace tomorrow and see how it goes from there.

While you have the belt off check the condition of the tensioner and guide pulley for smoothness and noise. If you careful you can gentle prise the rubber bearing sealing cover out and put a little fresh grease in them.

Are you sure the belt route is correct? It should underneath the waterpump pulley.

I don't quite follow the view of how a serpentine belt breaking would affect the timing belt Anyway, I'd be inclined to say if you don't know how old the belt is then it is worth changing it for peace of mind.

ok guys, got the new serpintine belt on this morning and everything is going great. I checked the new belt against the one I had bought a couple off days ago and it had stretched at least 1/2 inch.
    Anyways, going ogreat now, I'll wait until the weather picks up a bit and get a new timing belt fitted, at least I have some piece of mind as I have seen the timing belt and it look pretty good, so should be ok for a month or so.

Thanks for all your help.