Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall Zafira DPF failure

Default Vauxhall Zafira DPF failure

I am currently in dispute with vauxhall over the failure of the DPF filter on a 57 plate zafira. The filter blocked without warning, sucked fuel into the sump and blew up at 50mph with total loss of power and steering almost causing a fatality.
    Vauxhall tell me that I should have seen a warning light to advise me the filter needed to be regenerated (requiring a 20min drive at >2000rpm) and also that the engine fault light was lit when they checked the vehicle after the incident, so must have been lit before. I am 100% certain that neither of these lights were on before the engine failure. When I search the internet I find many discussion forums which mention the abscence of warning lights in these circumstances. I plan to sue Vauxhall for breach of contract. Does anyone have any advice?

Question

hello ive a 06 plate that had the same problem vauxhall know about it but dont care in the end my local dealer had it 12 weeks before they replaced it all fot the 3rd time the inlet manifold and butterflies all need replacin and so does the catalyic converter and a soft ware update needs to be done so it rege3narates if needed
    i work for myself and vauxhasll didnt want to know or compensate me keep trying but you could always try the various trade organisations but unfortantly the buck stops with the dealer

the engine management light comes on as it fails and goes into limp mode and not b4

Angry

Hi

I have an 06 plate zafira also, car went into limp mode engine management light came on, having to have a new dpf, egr valve and had to have the computer reset, I have no regeneration warning light in my vehicle, how are you supposed to know when regen process needs to take place without this???! I am now landed with over a 1400 bill through no fault of my own, car has 60,000 miles nothing i'm told for a diesel engine. No intereset whatsover from vauxhall, this needs to be addressed, I am seriously annoyed at this, manufacturers need to address this costly issue.

I believe they are fully aware that there is a major problem with this but far too costly for them to do anything about.

I will not be purchasing from this company again, ever.

A car without a warning system in place??? Or a system that fails to warn??!!

Not good enough

This is the start of things to come with DPFs in all makes of cars, not just Vauxhalls.
    Normally there is no warning for a regeneration as it happens automatically when the conditions are right. The biggest problem is no communication about the circumstances when a regeneration is performed. No one tells you that you need to drive at a minimum speed for x amount of miles for the conditions to be met.
    Another problem is the type of engine oil that is used at servicing. It MUST have a low ash content or this will block the filter faster. And we all know a lot of drivers won't pay to have the car serviced correctly (not suggesting these here by the way).
    Yet another problem is using the cheap supermarket diesel which does not contain the additives necessary for these newer cars with these systems. But no one tells you this. For example Citroen/Peugeot do not tell you that you should change the DPF at around 75000 miles because it is an expensive item and they wouldn't want to lose the sale.
    There are companies springing up now who are solving the DPF issues. They remove the DPF, fit a replacement pipe and then program the computer in the car not to recognise the missing filter. No more DPF issues but this is not a fix rather a way around the issue for some.
    As the roads clog up with traffic in cities, the chances of reaching the required conditions for regeneration are fewer so this is going to be a popular theme on here. Those who use the likes of the Zafira for the school run only will suffer more.

This is why some of us on here have been advising not to buy diesels but to revert to petrol as although the mpg figures make good reading, the actual running costs are higher as you have found out. Until the manufacturers get it sorted, which may take some time to come up with an alternative method of reducing the sooty particles, stick with a car that does not have a DPF fitted or buy a petrol.

You can of course thrash your car every week to help keep it clean.......

Well written Hometune & nail on the head

(Don't take my findings as gospel as I have put together my knowledge by surfing the net along with several training courses)

I have been studying Diesel Particulate Filtration for a while now & coincidently GM has been right up there as part of my study.

It seems the early (2004 to 2007) Z19DT & Z19DTH were like a testing ground to prepare for the EURO 5 emissions standard.

It is quite obvious that the system does not work correctly even if it is driven as per the owners manual (regular long, fast journeys)

Many manufacturers use a fluid wash system i.e Urea (pigs wee), Adblue or FAP this usually works by injecting a small amount
    of the fluid when you re-fuel by means of a switch on the fuel filler flap.

Other manufacturers use a complex method of introducing a slight misfire, the unburnt fuel raises the exhaust temperature thus causing a regen.

The most common fault with a DPF is blockage. What everyone must remember is the DPF will never be the cause it will only become a problem. Something caused it to block up.... but what?

The DPF can only handle particle matter (soot) but if that matter becomes moist due to an emission fault on the engine you then have
    wet matter, a sludgy mess that sticks to the front of the DPF filter. This can block a DPF within 25 miles!

The common fault with the GM City seems to be the EGR valve and MAFS, these if not attended to quickly can be the cause of DPF failure.
    Last edited by Techiloyd; 02-03-11 at 15:53.

Hi have the same emission failure but not once, twice. First was under warranty and put right no explanation was given . Now at 45000 miles have the same problem and being told that its my fault but don't know how.
    Also will have to pay for the fix and will it happen again.? If any one has made any progress getting costs back from Vauxhall please let me know, if its possible to contact me my email is jltaylor@tesco.net.

Hi Techiloyd,
    If these filters are blocked by wet particles then surely they are doomed to fail, the exhaust always will have water in it as water (until system is hot) or steam...

Wagolynn, I think Techiloyd means oil mist as in 'wet'. In a lot of cars there is always an amount of oil that gets past the turbo seals and enters the exhaust system. This is like glue and sticks to everything. That which is not directed into the exhaust clogs up the inlet side - flap valves, MAP sensor etc - and also the EGR system. With most turbos being the variable vane type, these are more susceptible to sticking due to carbon adhering to the mechanism. Short town journeys will of course make this problem worse. Some high mileage ex-fleet cars don't suffer from this and the inlet and EGR are usually dry and therefore, clean.
    But, the manufacturers don't tell you this.

Many thanks Hometune. Has anyone produced an electrical heated particulate filter (say like some cats were) would this burn off the muck, or prevent it building up?

Not that I know of but there may be. The raising the exhaust temp method of cleaning the filter by altering the timing and fuelling lifts the temp a lot.