Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White Van Man

Well, I haven't got a trailer these days, but before I injured my back, I always had one. Even converted one to hold a removable ladder rack for when I had a part time business power washing roofs at weekends, it was great as I had no outlays

What about the large, van-based motorhomes? These conversions are registered as private vehicles, and some even tow a small car at the back. The only limitations on these vehicles at present is that you have to have a medical certificate every 3 years for anything that exceeds 4,250 kg gross train weight when you reach 70 years of age.

The 4,250 kg derives from 3,500 kg vehicle gross weight plus 750 kg max. unbraked trailer weight, and requires a B+E licence to exceed 3,500 kg.

The reasons I asked the questions was that I have seen a marked demise in driving standards in drivers of large vans. In particular undertaking on motorways and tailgating cars at speeds over 70mph. Also I have seen a local council vehicle that is a Transit based flatbed with a trailer on that carries 3 very large tractor/ sit on grass mowers. (And I mean LARGE) Whilst I appreciate that white vanman is not the only one who is to blame for bad driving it appears to me that the vans of certain major companies that deliver parcels and other larger items are more to blame than others. Hire vans are also in this category.
    So is it time to make all commercial vehicles use tachographs? (that could inc reps cars too)
    Thank you all for your interesting input up to now.

Driving standards, particularly obeying speed limits, have fallen appallingly across all sectors of drivers.
    Regarding the mention of controls such as tachographs, if ever the "black box" technology for road charging gets off the ground, a lot of drivers are in for a shock. Because you can bet that speed limit control will be an integral part of the system, and then it won't be a case of watching out for speed cameras; drivers will have to keep their speed in check 100% of the time.

Another use for the technology could be to get illegal drivers off the roads. Vehicles would pass through checking beams, and any vehicle that didn't register correctly would soon be flagged for interception.
    It would be a logical step, because there would have to be provision to make it very difficult to get away with disabling of the tracking unit.

And if the system was introduced, public objection would count for nothing. There is only one factor that is protecting us from the imposition of the "black box", and that is the government's inability to get to grips with a viable public transport network.

So, it only needs one genius, and then........

Do you mean that every car would have a chip in it, so as it passes the road side beam, and it is fully insured for example, it would be allowed to carry on.
    If however it was not road legal, a signal would be sent out to switch off the engine management system, stopping the car.

Motorhomes are a mine field in them self's as a private vehicle and not used commercially wouldnt need a tacho but could come under the speedlimter law . If the motorhome is a 3.5 ton chassis and tows a car on a trailer or is a bigger chassis than 3.5ton and or tows a trailer then I sure you would need a C1 and C1E licence's . B+E im sure only cover's you to a vehicle up to 3.5 ton and a 750kg trailer .

I think vosa is hoping that the CPC training will improve driving standards

Quote Originally Posted by bby gti View Post
    B+E im sure only cover's you to a vehicle up to 3.5 ton and a 750kg trailer .
    Fraid thats not right.. B + E entitles you to 3.5 ton plus a trailer OVER 750kg

Quote Originally Posted by bby gti View Post
    Motorhomes are a mine field in them self's as a private vehicle and not used commercially wouldnt need a tacho but could come under the speedlimter law . If the motorhome is a 3.5 ton chassis and tows a car on a trailer or is a bigger chassis than 3.5ton and or tows a trailer then I sure you would need a C1 and C1E licence's . B+E im sure only cover's you to a vehicle up to 3.5 ton and a 750kg trailer .
    I think vosa is hoping that the CPC training will improve driving standards
    I am now 74 years old, so my B+E licence limits me to the 3,500 kg = 750 kg trailer. But, unless things have changed, before the age of 70 I could drive up to 7,500 kg.
    In the past (before 70) I have hired 7.5 Tonne vans, and you have to produce your driving licence to prove legality to drive the vehicle.

For a few years I did own motorhomes. I don't understand why you call them a minefield. They tend not to be loaded as heavily as their commercial counterparts. The tachograph isn't necessary because owners of these vehicles are travelling for leisure; Regularly stopping at motorway services for a coffee, or even nightly stopovers at a caravan site are quite normal. With our motorhome, I aimed for a stop at motorway services, at around 100 mile intervals, fora cup of coffee and about an hour's rest, and I still operate the same way now that we caravan instead. So my driving period is no more than about 2 hours between breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    Do you mean that every car would have a chip in it, so as it passes the road side beam, and it is fully insured for example, it would be allowed to carry on.
    If however it was not road legal, a signal would be sent out to switch off the engine management system, stopping the car.
    Smudger, if such a system came into being, there wouldn't be an automatic disabling of a vehicle because that would be dangerous. The "box" would identify the owner of the vehicle and they could be either intercepted by traffic police or later visited at home, depending on seriousness of reason for stopping.
    In the case of an illegal driver (no black box), the system would have the ability to detect the vehicle and that it did not "identify" itself. Then the vehicle would be electronically logged and information forwarded for its interception.

Pretty well all the technology is already there; when and how far reaching it will be is subject to government assessment of acceptable revenue cost levels, and necessary policing based on legality/safety/revenue avoidance considerations.

You only have to look at how far we have come with communication in 20 years (computers/mobile phones/satnavs), so it is only a matter of time of "when?", rather than "if".

Regards, Snowball.

I would not be opposed to requiring an extra licence for large white vans for the following reason.

What is it with so many decent drivers who, the minute they step from their family car into their white van, become complete psychopaths behind the wheel? I personally know a few of these who are fine when in their own cars but when in their white work van they're regularly tailgating people, beeping at people in front if they're going too slowly, generally getting a lot of roadrage, and pulling out at roundabouts/junctions in front of people as if they've got priority when they haven't.

I've never driven a 'white van' but have seen several competent drivers turn bad when they get into one, so I would not be against having to have a tougher licence to have one.