Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Van Man

Default White Van Man

Do any of you think that a new licence category should be introduced for larger vans such as Transits?

Also do any of you think that the power and top speed should be restricted?

No, but why?

A transit isn't a large van....

If you mean some of the sprinters and Iveco Dailys then they are over 3.5ton and require cat C1 to drive them

I thought that you could drive up to 7.5Ton truck on your car license?
    Back in the 80s I had such a truck and drove it all over the country, then later I sold that and bought a Ford Transit Luton van, with the steel roller door on the back.

There already starting to bring in speed limiters for vans although I dont think it is law . At the minute any comercial vehicle with a gross weight over 2 tons , including car derived vans , are only allowed to do 50mph on single carrageways and 60mph on dual carrageways and 70mph on motorways .

I have spoke to a vosa guy and aparently they are intending to bring in that every comercial vehicle with a gross weight over 2 tons will have a speed limiter , run under tacho hours and driver cpc rules . So would expect there to be a seperate test as well which to be honest I dont think is a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    I thought that you could drive up to 7.5Ton truck on your car license?
    Back in the 80s I had such a truck and drove it all over the country, then later I sold that and bought a Ford Transit Luton van, with the steel roller door on the back.
    If you passed your test before 1997 you can drive up to 7.5ton and only 3.5ton if you passed your test after 1997 and you also lost been able to tow a trailer after 1997 thats a seperate test now B+E

I don't think that will work, the paper work per vehicle alone is very time consuming on large trucks as it is.
    Also, it would almost impossible to enforce,as it takes the police to control all the present regulations as it is, without adding more?

I agree it is a major pain in the backside as it is but vosa want to clamp down on the vans and smaller vehicles . Too many driving for too long , over loading vans , driving too fast and dangerously . It would be inforced in the same way as the trucks are now . Even now the loopholes and the minefield is unreal . If your van is used comercially and if you tow a trailer that put the gross weight over 3.5tons then you need a tacho and possibly a operator's licence too ! scary loads of hassel

Geez! when did all this come into force? As back then I had that truck like I mentioned earlier, then the smaller van.

In fact I ended up using a load lugger to deliver all bulky purchases from my second hand shop, as there was no cost at all to me, saved me packet on running costs

It been inforce force for a few years know of quite a few folk got lots of grief towing trailers but it a minefield of loopholes too . But is getting inforced alot more know