Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car shunt insurance scam.

Hi, Sean. Sorry, forgot to include that. I'm with C.I.S.

One point I would mention about unsatisfactory insurers.
    It is possible to encounter a clerk who likes to play God, so the first step is to push your complaint "up the line", including a threat to involve the ombudsman if you feel this is necessary.

I think most of us have at some time heard of a company being slated, but where other customers are happy. This can be as simple as getting a bad clerk.

What is very important, however, is that your record details with the insurer are absolutely correct.

Whether having a long history and a good record with the insurer goes a significant way towards a satisfactory settlement is a matter for conjecture, but I suppose it can't be ruled out as a possibility.

I have, in the past, checked the premiums of other companies, but have found that a significant saving only occurs in the first year; usually a special "new customer" discount. To maintain such a discount would mean changing insurer every 12 months.
    Otherwise, I have found my insurer's premiums to be reasonable.

I would also be wary of premiums offered at "too good to be true" levels, and especially if they come by way of a broker or a supermarket chain. It follows that, if the premiums are at cut-throat levels, then so will be the way that claims are dealt with. The amount of cash in the pot must always remain at a health figure above that paid out.

finished
    Last edited by sean5302; 07-11-09 at 00:24.

That bloke who does the Money Matters on Radio2 in the afternoon, actually got a years fully comp insurance for 25p on line!!
    Yea! 25p, he told us how he did it using discounts and on line web sites.

Thing is, you cant judge an insurance company on price alone, as even some of the large ones, can treat you like dirt when you make a claim, and get out of giving you curtousy cars by using the small print

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    That bloke who does the Money Matters on Radio2 in the afternoon, actually got a years fully comp insurance for 25p on line!!Yea! 25p, he told us how he did it using discounts and on line web sites.

Thing is, you cant judge an insurance company on price alone, as even some of the large ones, can treat you like dirt when you make a claim, and get out of giving you curtousy cars by using the small print
    What would worry me is, if I had a collision, the insurance company refused to pay out, and the matter ended up in court, would the court take the view that you could not expect much cover for 25p. And, if it left me without adequate third party cover, would they penalise me as if I had NO insurance?

finished
    Last edited by sean5302; 07-11-09 at 00:23.

Sean, I agree with your comments in principle but my own pessimism, coupled with my jaded views about how the justice system and trading standards laws get "interpreted" these days, I'll believe anything is possible.
    And if it happened to anyone, I am certain it would be me.

I think the 25p figure was reached after cashback via a third party website, so (for example) he would have actually paid 75.25 for his insurance, but received 75 back in cashback bringing his total to the 25p figure.

Yea! Mike, that is right, he did say that it was a legal insurance policy as well.
    He was pointing out exactly what you can do by shopping around on line