Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car shunt insurance scam.

Default Car shunt insurance scam.

Did anyone else read about the chap who was sent to prison this week for staging car crashes? Apparently he did this as a "service" for owners wishing to make money on insurance claims, and he charged 500 a time. He made about 46,000, but the 93 crashes cost the insurance companies about 17,000 on average for each crash.

For many of his crashes he chose the same roundabout, and workers in a nearby office block spotted his regular presence dealing with the victim drivers. When he's served his four-and-a-half years, less remission, I hope the insurance companies hound him for compensation. They won't get their money back, but they can make him suffer long after he gets out of prison.

finished
    Last edited by sean5302; 06-11-09 at 23:10.

I know that some of the insurance companies aren't perfect, but you can't blame them for upping premiums to meet rising costs; the alternative would be companies going to the wall, and many of us losing cover whilst caught out on the road.
    And two wrongs don't make a right, Sean, so I have no sympathy for the scammer. A beef with an insurer is no excuse for his actions, and I think the law should have followed it through to the point of prosecuting the ones who used his "services" in the scam; they knew they were committing fraud.

finished

finished

Yea! I must admit on the two occasions where I have had to claim from insurance companies, it has been like getting blood out of a stone?

Must admit though, Direct Line were quick, efficient and a pleasure to deal with, when we had out most recent claim
    The difference was, that was a house insurance claim, and not a motoring as mentioned above.

I had a third party claim against NCGI (I think that is the correct name.) some years ago, and I was surprised how quickly they settled. I put a claim in to them, and received a cheque for all I asked for within a matter of days, and I will admit I had asked for more that I should really have expected on the grounds I added leeway for them to knock me down.

While I too have no sympathy for the scammer, because I am sure he's in it for personal gain, I also have no sympathy for the insurance companies. Not only do they rip us off all the time, but as Sean said, we're going to pay for all these claims anyway, as if it were out fault, while they rake in the profits. Frankly, they're no better than the greedy bankers ...

I can understand bitterness at insurers who, after their promises of fair dealing, fail to come up good, and use all types of wriggling excuses to avoid paying out. And some of those names are companies where you would expect better treatment.

But some are genuine, and do their job impeccably.

Last April I was hit in the rear by a stolen car, and the "driver?" drove off. The damage to my less than 2 months old car was a little over 1,000.
    I was halfway through a holiday, decided to stay for the remaining week, and advised my insurers by letter.

When I got back home I immediately visited my dealership, who took details and photographs of the damage.
    The insurers did not send out an assessor, and I got a call from the dealers to take my car in for repair. The vehicle was put right and I was told that all warranties were intact, and that the vehicle was "as new".

Despite my own delay of a week, the car was back to me within one month of the incident.
    The thief wasn't caught, and the offending vehicle was not found.
    My insurers later advised me that they had recovered their costs (I don't know how; CIB?), and that it was a no-fault claim. I even got back my excess.

I have been with my insurers for over 20 years without a break, their premiums have always been competitive and, not surprisingly, very unlikely to change in the future.

Regards, Snowball.

finished
    Last edited by sean5302; 06-11-09 at 23:24.