Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is this madness or what

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    There are files available for some sat navs that show low bridges, well known in trucking and I think motor home circles. I don't think it is anything to do with the signage really; it's more likely to do with being lost in a foreign country driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Follow one and you will see what I mean.
    wagolynn, is your text deliberate or has something on the forum gone potty? Or is there really a trade mark for Australian euros???

Quote Originally Posted by 98selitb View Post
    Only my opinion, but I think metres are far simpler, more logical and easier to remember than feet and inches. I think it would be easier for us to adapt to metres than someone who's familiar with metric to get used to imperial.
    I agree that it is more complicated to do calculations in imperial but in this case you don't have to do any calculations except to compare the height of your vehicle with that posted on the sign.

For instance, if the height of your vehicle is 9' 6'' and the sign said 9' 5'' then you would only have to know that 6 is greater than 5. You wouldn't even have to know that there are 12in in a foot.

I agree that foreign lorry drivers should be competent in understanding such things as Imperial dimensions for bridge clearances and road widths. I do not see any reason to make changes just for the sake of it but, if there have been collisions with low bridges, and which can be related to problems for foreign drivers, then I think the change is reasonable in the interests of safety. This is not in sympathy for ignorance of the drivers, but for the safety of innocent victims who may be caught up in the collision.

I do not agree with a change just to give the bureaucrats something to do, nor as a subversive tool to gradually introduce change.

In the end, it comes down to commonsense. If the change will improve safety, then it has to be acceptable, and the attitude of protecting the status quo must take second place.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    wagolynn, is your text deliberate or has something on the forum gone potty? Or is there really a trade mark for Australian euros???
    Hi snowball, the text looks ok on my monitor but I have been having trouble with apostrophes and inverted commas coming out as rubbish. This only started since the site update; I have noticed it in some other posts. I wonder if it is something to do with my modus operandi. I tend to write posts in Microsoft word then paste into the post. Everything looks ok after pasting but the problem appears after submitting or preview.

I for one, do not understand the problem. All the bridges I have seen over the last ten years or more have either been marked clearance in metres, and wight in tonnes. As to SI units, is there a different measurement for these figures?

Wagolynn, I have the same trouble in Word, Wordpad and Notepad. The standard sign for the Pound Sterling still comes out as £.

Do you have a keyboard character reference problem? I once had a problem with one or two characters (can't remember which ones) but I found that I had somehow changed from UK to American standard.

I am running on the RAC forum, using a kind of basic layout suggested to me by Mike Gray when the normal site kept freezing.

I eventually went back to the normal site, and things went OK for a few weeks, then the problem started again. Haven't bothered to switch back this time, so not sure if problem still there.

So, folks, for the drift from the thread.

Regards, Snowball.

Snowball, no it is this site. It is flawed. Retrogresssion for the sake of change.

Snowball, your keybord just needs re-setting, go into settings, on your control panel, and click on U.K or English, that should fix it

It happened to me a while ago the and @ were swapped over.

yeah i had a problem when they first changed the site a few days a go, the page was twice as wide as before, if not more,
    but it seems to be ok now

tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I for one, do not understand the problem. All the bridges I have seen over the last ten years or more have either been marked clearance in metres, and wight in tonnes. As to SI units, is there a different measurement for these figures?

Wagolynn, I have the same trouble in Word, Wordpad and Notepad. The standard sign for the Pound Sterling still comes out as £.
    Is your keboard set for UK?