Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: is this madness or what

My keyboard is set to UK.
    There is always a possibility that my Browser is not happpy.
    When I type in a Pound Sterling sign, I get the following displayed on my monitor:
    A Capital A with a line across the top of.
    This is followed by a comma.
    Then there is another Capital A with a line across the top.
    This is followed by a Pound Sterling sign.
    Is anyone getting anything different to this displayed?

My keyboard is set to UK English standard, and i have no problems here.
    What has been happening recently, and not only on this forum, is that when I look up from the keyboard I notice spaces and letters missing from the text, and have to go back and correct them.
    At the moment, I cannot decide if this is a faulty keyboard or if the CPU itself is acting up.

To keep the computer running smoothly, I do have a fault/repair facility, and this is currently indicating that the system is "in good health"

Test every key on the keyboard in your word processor; I am reasonably confident that the testing software only verifies there is a keyboard connected, unless that is, the program asks you to press keys. The symptoms you describe suggest typos rather than a keyboard problem. My usual typo is hitting two keys together. If the CPU was faulty, you would not be able to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I for one, do not understand the problem. All the bridges I have seen over the last ten years or more have either been marked clearance in metres, and wight in tonnes. As to SI units, is there a different measurement for these figures?

Wagolynn, I have the same trouble in Word, Wordpad and Notepad. The standard sign for the Pound Sterling still comes out as £.
    I've been having this problem on a different forum where I receive newspaper articles from all over the world - it's something to do with the format they compose stuff in and I gather that you can get rid of it but it's a dire hassle unless you're smart on computers which I most certainly am not!

I've not had this problem since the new system, but it was only today that I could reply direct rather than using a link via the static forum that Mike Gray emailed me.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    Test every key on the keyboard in your word processor; I am reasonably confident that the testing software only verifies there is a keyboard connected, unless that is, the program asks you to press keys. The symptoms you describe suggest typos rather than a keyboard problem. My usual typo is hitting two keys together. If the CPU was faulty, you would not be able to boot.
    By "typos" I assume you mean typing error? Well, no, it isn't just that. I have been pressing deliberately carefully on the keys, and occasionally a character fails to produce on screen. It may be an odd one, or a run of several in one sentence. I am going to try and borow another keyboard to do a check. Frankly, hope it is the keyboard; must cheaper to replace. Sod's law or what! this post has behaved OK !!!

You could try re-installing the driver for the keyboard. I had to that when I changed over keyboards on my desk top computer?

Default Metric signs

I think you have to remember that in this country anyone under the age of, perhaps, 40 have all been taught mathematics etc using the metric system only.#

My daughter uses the system for all measurements, estimates of distance etc.., her only real connection with the imperial system is in a glass or whilst driving or reading a map.

The imperial system is doomed in the UK by the effluxion of time!