Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is this madness or what

Post is this madness or what

has anyone heard about this mad idea to change road signs so that they give imperial and metric height and/or width for bridges, this is because 10% of accidents involving bridges are caused by foreign truck drivers unable to workout the height of the bridge they are going under, i haven't heard that our truckers going over to Europe are having a similar problem,
    why dont the uk government insist that all trucks from the continent have duo truck height stickers inside the cab, why the hell we "the British" have to spend millions changing our bridge signs, and why aren't the insurance companies insisting that all trucks have there height recorded inside the cab,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/8313892.stm

tommy
    Last edited by tommytwotanks; 20-10-09 at 17:29.

To overcome various problems associated with trucks, wouldn't the following idea be worth considering?

As far as I am aware, the connector of the traction unit to the trailer is common for foreign and UK trucks. So, why not have the trailers unhitched at the UK ports and the loads continue on their way with a UK traction unit and driver. And vice versa for the other side of the channel. The driver and traction unit could pick up a trailer for the return trip.

Default Metric measures

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    has anyone heard about this mad idea to change road signs so that they give imperial and metric height and/or width for bridges, this is because 10% of accidents envolving bridges are caused by forgein truck drivers unable to workout the height of the bridge they are going under, i havent heard that our truckers going over to europe are having a similar problem,
    why dont the uk government instist that all trucks from the continant have duo truck height stickers inside the cab, why the hell we "the british" have to spend millions changing our bridge signs, and why arnt the insurance companies insisting that all trucks have there height recorded inside the cab,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/8313892.stm

tommy
    No, I don't think this is "madness"! It is high time this idiotic nonsense was stopped.

This country, according to treaties signed about 25 years ago is supposed to be using SI Units - if you don't know, try searching online;-) and NOT "metric" which is a different system anyway (similar, but different). Instead of nonsense based on ridiculous things like the length of a long-dead monarch's arm!

It's about time we were dragged kicking and screaming if necessary into the modern world!

I doubt this country can afford to change all the signs! I have noticed dual measurement signs going up on a couple of bridges on trunk roads where signs have been damaged, which is fair enough, but there's better things to spend public money on that replacing all the signs.

Having spent my life in engineering, but working closely with technologists in the rubber industry, I am equally at home with S.I., Metric, and Imperial measurement systems.

However, it still amazes me that so many people in the UK are still entrenched in the Imperial system.
    As for drivers, they are incapable of following speed limit signs in Imperial figures, so heaven knows what they would do if our signs were changed to kilometres per hour.

I can see the wisdom of changing road width and bridge height signs to be shown in metres instead of feet, because anyone getting it wrong would be on the safe side. Colliding with low bridges is a safety issue, where others could be hurt apart from the driver, which I think overrides the cost factor.

Some years ago the government of the day considered changing the UK to left-hand driving (as Sweden did), but I believe it was abandoned due to the "Yokel" image of the UK population. I don't know if the cost of replacing/converting (if practical) vehicles was seen as an issue.

I think it was again discussed recently on the basis that it could be considered again, when the oder drivers had passed on.
    This puzzled me. I am an older driver, but I have no problems taking my caravan to France. Also, isn't the development of older drivers a continuous function?

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    No, I don't think this is "madness"! It is high time this idiotic nonsense was stopped.

This country, according to treaties signed about 25 years ago is supposed to be using SI Units - if you don't know, try searching online;-) and NOT "metric" which is a different system anyway (similar, but different). Instead of nonsense based on ridiculous things like the length of a long-dead monarch's arm!

It's about time we were dragged kicking and screaming if necessary into the modern world!
    "Give me half a litre landlord", just does not sound butch though. The eye could see for kilometre after kilometre or kilometres of golden sand do not have any poetry about them. I do not see any problem in retaining our units of measurement, with almost everything being done on computers converting is not a problem. The last CAD system I used allowed designs to be done in imperial whilst it dimensioned in metric, if told to do so it would even query none standard converted dimensions. As you may have gathered I am not a fan of the Federal States of Europe, a common market place is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Having spent my life in engineering, but working closely with technologists in the rubber industry, I am equally at home with S.I., Metric, and Imperial measurement systems.

However, it still amazes me that so many people in the UK are still entrenched in the Imperial system.
    As for drivers, they are incapable of following speed limit signs in Imperial figures, so heaven knows what they would do if our signs were changed to kilometres per hour.

I can see the wisdom of changing road width and bridge height signs to be shown in metres instead of feet, because anyone getting it wrong would be on the safe side. Colliding with low bridges is a safety issue, where others could be hurt apart from the driver, which I think overrides the cost factor.

Some years ago the government of the day considered changing the UK to left-hand driving (as Sweden did), but I believe it was abandoned due to the "Yokel" image of the UK population. I don't know if the cost of replacing/converting (if practical) vehicles was seen as an issue.

I think it was again discussed recently on the basis that it could be considered again, when the oder drivers had passed on.
    This puzzled me. I am an older driver, but I have no problems taking my caravan to France. Also, isn't the development of older drivers a continuous function?
    I think the issue of older drivers passing on is an insult. My Dad last drove in Europe when he was 72 - admittedly a couple of decades ago but he negotiated Paris without mishap!!

As mentioned, I think we could institute some changes to bridge/narrow road signs on trunk and key main roads, possibly coupled with the suggestion that all foreign hauliers must have dual measurement stickers, but I re-iterate I don't think we can afford to do a total replacement. Better to mend potholes and improve infrastructure.

I'm very happy to be a Yokel! I like miles and I like being different. I've driven a right hand drive car many times in Europe without an accident and a left hand drive car here - ditto. I agree, if you're paying attention to your driving and know the rules in other countries, you're halfway there! However, this country is far too good at dumbing down for others, let alone its' own population so why should we be stuffed with a vast bill to satisfy Europe?

as you might know, some driver's cant judge the size of there vehicle, or dont notice sign's saying vehicle's over a certain restricted weight are not allowed, and what do you find, driver's taking short cuts to save time, or they now have the wrong satnav and get stuck down narrow country lanes or under low bridges

tommy

Satnavs don't indicate bridge heights.
    In France (2007), I was following my Satnav route when it tried to send me under a bridge with a height of 2.4 metres. With a caravan at almost 3 metres high, it's a good thing I was observant. There was room to turn onto a large gravelled area immediately before the bridge. Another caravanner was following me, and fortunately he also turned.

On the subject of change, over the centuries this island has been invaded on numerous occasions, and much of what we think of as indemic customs have actually been brought in from other countries. It's an ongoing process.

Too much resistance to change can narrow our minds to our disadvantage, rather than have any tangible benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Satnavs don't indicate bridge heights.
    In France (2007), I was following my Satnav route when it tried to send me under a bridge with a height of 2.4 metres. With a caravan at almost 3 metres high, it's a good thing I was observant. There was room to turn onto a large gravelled area immediately before the bridge. Another caravanner was following me, and fortunately he also turned.

On the subject of change, over the centuries this island has been invaded on numerous occasions, and much of what we think of as indemic customs have actually been brought in from other countries. It's an ongoing process.

Too much resistance to change can narrow our minds to our disadvantage, rather than have any tangible benefits.
    i was under the impression that trucker sat navs were available, and also on my RAC sat nav i can choose between car fastest/shortest, and trucker fastest/shortest, ive never used the trucker setting so im not sure what the difference is but im assuming it keeps you away from narrow country lanes and low bridges, and maybe roads with weight limits

tommy
    Last edited by tommytwotanks; 20-10-09 at 19:22.