Thread: Problems mitsubishi spacestar

Default Problems mitsubishi spacestar

Hi

i was driving my spacestar 1.3 today and it suddenly cut out, now i cant start it and have no idea what it might be. When i turn the key it turns over and the engine management light goes off but wont spark into life. When i lifted the bonnet i noticed a shorting out/electric arcing noise from what seems the bottom of the engine, can anyone give me any advice?

regards

Mark

just noticed today after checking a little more that im not getting a spark down the ht leads, any ideas what to start with for that?

Mark

Smile engine earth

check the engine earth cables i dont know exacly where they are on your car but there should be one or two going from car body to engine if one is broken or corroded it would cause ur problem

I would have thought this would have been sorted by now-if you look at the date of the original post

Default 2004 1.3 space star

Hi, I have a 2004 1.3 space star ......bullet proof ! except that from cold the revs drop off to 200 or less. After 1 mile its fine , its like the fuel is cut ,or 2 leads have been pulled ,like being choked ! foot to the floor ...nothing .
    A MITSU' DEALERSHIP HAS HAD THIS in for investigation A MONTH .. yes a A whole MONTH & CAN'T FIND WHATS UP .
    Its only showing when cold ,lasts for 1-2 minutes ,until warm - not showing a fault code either. ! we've had a new exhaust , new ox. sensor ,which improved thins slightly , new coil packs - still no good ,,, any one ever had similar ?
    H E L P ! philandkath4 @********** or 07715 373836 thanks Phil

Have they checked the coolant temp sensor?

Hi -yes they have & ..seems ok .. the most annoying thing is there are no fault codes coming up ,so checked the fault detection system by introducing certain faults & its working ok. ! (great isn't when you have to make the car faulty to check the fault meter is not failing in case its faulty ?? think I met myself coming back there .)
    Also checked round for poor earths, carbon build up (more common on the GDi engine I hear ) in the carb' chamber .
    No-one has the 1st clue what it could be ,but its been with us for several months now in various levels of severity& making the thing un-saleable & poss an mot failure in 10wks. ?
    .........appreciate your input, Phil

thinking back the coolant temp sensor did show a fault early on & was replaced early 2011.
    :-/

From cold the engine ticks over at around 300-400rpm then as it warms up, the revs climb to normal after 2 mins? Then its okay after that?
    The coolant temp sensor is as MrDanno says the first place to start. The injector opening time will start off high then drop as it warms up so that needs to be followed too. When the engine is started the heater in the upstream oxygen sensor needs to be checked to ensure it is being switched on. Not familiar with your car's fuse boxes but most Far Eastern manufacturers put a fuse just for the heaters in the sensors and some also have a relay. The rest are switched on and off by the ECU (engine control unit). A quick check of the airflow sensor (if your engine has one) can be made by watching the short term fuel trim. This shows what the fuelling is through the engine from the airflow sensor to the oxygen sensor. It should remain within 5% of + or - zero. If this all checks out okay then the ECU may be suspect. If you had said your car was a Fiesta then a software update to the ECU would have solved this issue which is similar. Perhaps this is what Mitsubishi should be looking at?