Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No spare wheel with new Peugeot?

When I bought my first brand new car in 2005, it was on special offer. The price drop meant I could buy new instead of nearly new. The car was a 7-seater with no spare wheel; just the compressor and a tin of gunge.

After buying the car, I came to realise that there is no substitute for a full sized spare, so I bought a new wheel and carried it in the luggage compartment.
    By the time the car was 4 years old, I had become fed up with this spare always causing problems due to restricted boot space.

So, towards the end of last year, when some good deals were on offer, I ordered another new car; same make and model but a 5-seater with a full sized, properly stowed spare wheel. Apparently, a 5-seater is only put on the production line to order, and I got the car for the start of the 09-plate.

The 5-seater variant cost me an extra 195, but I got all the discounts etc, that would have come with a 7-seater. Also, the spare is an alloy wheel, same as the ones already on the car.

Although my previous car was everything I wished of it, I would not have bought the same car again if it had not had the spare wheel option. I learned the hard way; cars should not be allowed into production without a full sized spare wheel.
    With such cars, anything other than a simple puncture will render it stranded until assistance can be obtained, and there is a multitude of situations where the driver/vehicle could be placed in a higher security/safety risk than having a spare readily available.
    The EU vehicle regulatory bodies have been very short-sighted in this respect.

Yea! we had to get the Renault Grand Scenic we ordered from the Mobility Scheme altered to hold the spare wheel, (different shape petrol tank) as they are not keen on leasing cars to disabled folk without one.

It was a seven seater as well, we got the smaller Modus this time, in a bid to get more mileage.
    What a mistake that was, as we are getting 36 MPG with its 1.2Ltr engine which they said could give 55 MPG??

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    Yea! we had to get the Renault Grand Scenic we ordered from the Mobility Scheme altered to hold the spare wheel, (different shape petrol tank) as they are not keen on leasing cars to disabled folk without one.

It was a seven seater as well, we got the smaller Modus this time, in a bid to get more mileage.
    What a mistake that was, as we are getting 36 MPG with its 1.2Ltr engine which they said could give 55 MPG??
    Ouch, that sounds painful.
    Either the engine is much too small or you are doing something to make it use a lot of fuel. E.g. Tyre pressure, windows open, roof rack, all stop start, diving boots.

Smudger, pure curiousity, but are you sure it's a 1.2litre? That seems a very small engine for a seven seater, and I would imagine it would be working quite hard, which 'coulc' explain poor fuel consumption. I can't find a 1.2 Grand Scenic on Renault's website.
    (Or am I misreading your post?)

Hi, Smudger. I tend to feel the same as Rolebama; a 1.2 litre engine does sound tiny for a 7-seater vehicle.

My VW Touran 1.9 TDI returns not much less than that with a 1,430 kg caravan in tow. Solo, I get around 45 - 50 mpg depending on traffic conditions, and have managed 56 mpg.

Something doesn't gel somewhere.

Regards, Snowball.

Ah! I seem to have worded it all wrong, its the new Modus which has the 1.2 Ltr engine, and is only a 4 seater.
    It was the Renault G/Scenic that was the 7 seater, and it had a 1.6 Ltr engine.

Its the new Modus that is giving us the really poor mileage? Sorry if I confused you all

It seems nowadays that spare is not included in the package when buying a car. I wonder what's the reason for this. I believe this should be always included.
    Last edited by monokoboo; 05-03-13 at 06:05.

Quote Originally Posted by monokoboo View Post
    It seems nowadays that spare wheels is not included in the package when buying a car. I wonder what's the reason for this. I believe this should be always included.
    If you read all the posts on this thread you will see that you are echoing what has gone before.

Lack of a spare wheel is a design option to suit manufacturers' production programmes; not for the benefit of the buyer.
    The only way to reverse this trend is for buyers to vote with their feet; but we all know from human nature that this isn't going to happen, and so do the car makers.

The problem is, the majority of owners/buyers do not appreciate the inconvenience/cost implications of not having a spare wheel until they are faced with anything worse than a simple puncture. But even then, the tin of gunge is only a temporary repair, and its use renders the tyre unrepairable.

You have made the logical observation that a spare wheel is essential, but have you set this as a priority before making a purchase?

I just had a mad thought, They should have some windscreen stickers made for cars in the showroom / on the forecourt "This car does not include a spare wheel"

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I just had a mad thought, They should have some windscreen stickers made for cars in the showroom / on the forecourt "This car does not include a spare wheel"
    Naw! that sounds too like common sense for that to be done.