Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zafira Power Loss Problem

Let me knw hw u get on thankx

Kaz

Do your cars have diesel particulate filters in the exhaust? (in the centre of the exhaust system is a large round unit with a small pipe coming from it)

Hi there,

Removed the electrical connector from the EGR valve and the car drove brilliantly as it should, however the amber engine management light came on. A code 4004 EGR fault was read from the pedal test, which is what you would expect. I refitted the cable and back to stutter and judder. I reset the warning light. Still think its a faulty EGR.

Yes Hometune I believe mine has the DPF fitted as its a Euro IV. I haven't looked at that yet, need to get a ramp and check for holes in the pipes.

Mick

Hi there, finally got to look at the DPF and no pipes or hoses, must be too early version. This unit must not regen itself, on another note I noticed the MPG has shot right up, I was nicely tootling along at 40mph the car said 85mpg. Hand boot down 10mpg, If I easy off the pedal the MPG goes immediatly to 999mpg. I seem to remember it would do that but after 1-2seconds. I wonder if that is tied in somewhere?

mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickjo View Post
    Hi there,

Removed the electrical connector from the EGR valve and the car drove brilliantly as it should,

Still think its a faulty EGR.

Mick
    I think you may be right especially as the connector was 180 degrees out. That sounds like a remanufactured unit The code is correct for a disconnection. As you have now checked everything else, maybe time to return the part under warranty..

Hi there just been underneath the car sure mine doesnt have a DPF or I'm wrong, see link http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages...bosalnr=256153 its picture 060.993.50 That's defo the exhaust layout I have. no refrence to a DPF.
    I dont have pipes running from the front box.
    mick

Hi all,

Im experiencing the same problem with my Zafira 57 cdti 120 8v, I have bought an op com device to help me through my problems but i think i need more from experienced people.

One day i was driving my car and the coil light started flashing, so read handbook and learnt that my vehicle is fitted with a DPF and require a regen, So i took it for a 20 mile drive with my revs around 2-5 thousand, light with out, Then the next day i was moving something for my bro and the engine management light came on and lost power between 1 and 2 thousand revs but fine afterwards t, so i took it to my Uncle who i knew had a snap-on reader for the codes, plug it in a pops up a fault code P2279 (intake air system leak), Uncle could not find any air leaks, He may of missed it, However i asked him to clear the code, Not returned since, in the mean time, i gave the car a service, Filters and change of oil, Machine back on and new fault code pops up P2454 I think thats what is was any it said, Pressure sensor hose line malfunction, So located a hose coming over the pressure sensor had a clean break in the plastic hose, this was replaced and the fault when away without it being cleared, then i changed the egr valve for a gen part. all good you would think, wrong still lack of power between 1-2 thousand revs, im starting to lose my cool with this car, Its done 100000 miles and only owned it 5 month, bought it for transport for my son and im not happy at the moment, Stuck my opcom reader on the car so see live data and im lost on this one.

DPF Saturation is at 82% (i think thats to high) am i right to think that
    Cylinder injection quality devation 1 reads 0.54
    2 reads 0.54
    3 reads -0.64
    4 reads -0.64

I have just disconnected the plug to the egr valve and the car runs fine, plug it back in the same problem comes back

any ideas please would be very much appreciated
    Last edited by Nick24; 04-04-12 at 16:45.

The original fault code of P2279 and then the P2454 are connected. The black plastic pipe usually breaks at the join to the steel pipe just above the subframe. During this time no regeneration of the DPF would have taken place so now it is choking up. This choking up also causes carbon build up in the EGR valve and also in the housing where it is fitted. When you remove the EGR valve and look inside it may well be partially blocked particularly as you look towards the air flap (throttle flap). To clean this properly you have to remove not just the throttle housing but also the housing to the inlet manifold too. As explained previously, there is an inner and outer ring on the manifold where the housings bolt on. If you poke a screwdriver or piece of wire from the EGR valve opening you will see where this airway should be. If the DPF is blocked, so will the manifold at this point. Unless it is clean you will get your symptoms. You should be able to see an inner ring and an outer ring once you have poked out the carbon. It can be hard to spot as the carbon often completely fills it.
    Once it is all clean and reassembled with the EGR valve fitted, use the Op-com to adapt the EGR valve. If you do not it will continue as before thinking the system is blocked or broken.
    Check the DPF pipe again. It may be fixed at the front where you have fitted a pipe but you must check the small rubber pipe at the back that comes out from the filter to join the steel pipe. These fail at the bends and cause small holes which can only be found by removing the rubber section and inspecting it very carefully. Any leak will mean no regeneration.
    Once all done, take the car for a hard drive to ensure a regeneration is properly completed. It may take a couple of runs to clear it as it will be badly choked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    The original fault code of P2279 and then the P2454 are connected. The black plastic pipe usually breaks at the join to the steel pipe just above the subframe. During this time no regeneration of the DPF would have taken place so now it is choking up. This choking up also causes carbon build up in the EGR valve and also in the housing where it is fitted. When you remove the EGR valve and look inside it may well be partially blocked particularly as you look towards the air flap (throttle flap). To clean this properly you have to remove not just the throttle housing but also the housing to the inlet manifold too. As explained previously, there is an inner and outer ring on the manifold where the housings bolt on. If you poke a screwdriver or piece of wire from the EGR valve opening you will see where this airway should be. If the DPF is blocked, so will the manifold at this point. Unless it is clean you will get your symptoms. You should be able to see an inner ring and an outer ring once you have poked out the carbon. It can be hard to spot as the carbon often completely fills it.
    Once it is all clean and reassembled with the EGR valve fitted, use the Op-com to adapt the EGR valve. If you do not it will continue as before thinking the system is blocked or broken.
    Check the DPF pipe again. It may be fixed at the front where you have fitted a pipe but you must check the small rubber pipe at the back that comes out from the filter to join the steel pipe. These fail at the bends and cause small holes which can only be found by removing the rubber section and inspecting it very carefully. Any leak will mean no regeneration.
    Once all done, take the car for a hard drive to ensure a regeneration is properly completed. It may take a couple of runs to clear it as it will be badly choked up.

Thank you Hometune, I appreciate your comments, i need to ask a few question before i start work on trying to unblock the system,

Op-com to adapt the EGR valve, what does this mean?
    Op-com can do a manual regen, would this do any damage?
    Put in mind that the car runs fine whilst the egr valve is disconnect, what are the chances that the DPF is blocked?
    Is the DPF saturation of 84% to high, what should it be roughly?

Thanks again

No!!! You need to unblock the system first. I have great difficulty trying to get across to people on here and in garages that it is no use using diagnostic equipment until the car is clean. It is completely pointless. Garages think they can take short cuts and it does not work, believe me. That is why they end up calling people like me to sort out their mess.

1. It tells the ecu that a new valve is fitted and learns its settings. You must NOT do this to try and fix something, only if you fit a NEW valve
    2. No point. The engine is blocked. A waste of time
    3. The DPF isblocked. 84% is way, way too high caused by the broken pipe and the blocked up inlet and EGR
    4. You should get it down to 10% eventually

I mentioned your post to a garage while working for them. They said, ' Tell him that he must clean out the manifold and the EGR valve. We didn't and the customer came back complaining. It works every time for us so we do it all the time now.'