Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killer Police Driver - Worst Ever?

Default Killer Police Driver - Worst Ever?

A metropolitan police officer killed a 61 year old lady in Bromley last year while driving a patrol car. The circumstances do not make for good reading at all.

P.C. Malcolm Searles, 24 years old, crashed into the lady after driving at 100mph through the streets of south east London. He was using blue lights and sirens. So what? you might think, an unfortunate accident happening during an emergency response.

But no. The 'emergency' he was on at these speeds was to deliver, wait for it, a BIRTHDAY CARD.

He has now pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and was sacked from the force.
    (All the details are on BBC ceefax).

Words fail me here.

Aye! and I hope he got time for the Causing Death charge

He's still to be sentenced.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post

A metropolitan police officer killed a 61 year old lady

He has now pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and was sacked from the force.
    (All the details are on BBC ceefax).

Words fail me here.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8269173.stm

.........It said the actions of Searles should not be seen as a reflection upon thousands of officers who drive to high standards.
    does that include the traffic police that went around a blind bend at silly speed and drove straight into the back of a woman waiting at a red light, Killing her in the process - Good driving dictates that you have to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear!

It always amazes me that the police are always dictating to drivers how to drive and yet their own driving records are hardly perfect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/westm..._crashes.shtml

P.C. Malcolm Searles, 24 years old, crashed into the lady after driving at 100mph through the streets of south east London. He was using blue lights and sirens.
    I don't have much respect for the police and would be the last to defend them but... This is all hyped up and sensationalised by the press. Actually the police car was doing 50mph in a 30mph zone with blues and two's shortly before the incident. It does not say if the police car lost control either, probably the lady was crossing the road and not looking first.

double post
    Last edited by chopper jockey; 25-09-09 at 00:46. Reason: double post, not able to delete

Quote Originally Posted by chopper jockey View Post
    I don't have much respect for the police and would be the last to defend them but... This is all hyped up and sensationalised by the press. Actually the police car was doing 50mph in a 30mph zone with blues and two's shortly before the incident. It does not say if the police car lost control either, probably the lady was crossing the road and not looking first.
    Yes but 50 MPH does not sell news papers, since when were journalists bothered by accuracy?

Missed the point completely. He shouldn't have been in the car delivering a birthday card. Both reports state he achieved speeds of 100mph.
    If it had been a relative of yours you wouldn't be so dismissive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Missed the point completely. He shouldn't have been in the car delivering a birthday card. Both reports state he achieved speeds of 100mph.
    If it had been a relative of yours you wouldn't be so dismissive.
    I don't think they have Hometune,they are simply saying he was not doing 100mph when he hit the woman.
    He was i believe possibly doing 50mph in a 30mph limit.
    Now had he been on a job would this speed have been deemed safe?
    What was the road like?
    Could normal traffic reach these speeds?
    These are questions and facts that you and i do not know.

Yes the reports state he reached 100mph with blues and twos on but where did he reach these speeds?
    On a motorway near his sisters house?
    Again you or i do not know.

Yes he was in the wrong as he was not a call.
    Yes he was speeding when he had no reason to.
    That is why he has been rightly sacked and is being prosecuted.

Out of all emergency calls taken and responded to by all services at speed.........
    How many crashed resulting in death or injury?
    What percentage resulted in a death or injury?
    These are the facts we should look at.

Those who moan about police vehicles etc speeding are entitled to do so but if it results in services not being able to travel at speed to get to you in an emergency then i just hope you are never in the situation where you need them.