Thread: Towing a vehicle without MOT

Default Towing a vehicle without MOT

I have a properly designed towing rod/bar & have used it a couple of times to help friends broken down without any problems.
    I want to use it to scrap a car I have that's an MOT failure. But it's sat on my drive for over a year. (The Honda in question only has a defective ABS system, but its old, dented & uneconomic to repair.)
    Can I tow this car to a local approved scrapyard without any special insurance?
    I know that my car is the same weight (actually identical model) but surely that is not illegal with a fixed length towing bar?
    Will an "ON TOW" board at the back be sufficient?
    Or am I supposed to secure my trailer board to the back of the scrap car?
    Local scrap agents may offer me 60 when I can get double that if I tow it myself.
    Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks.

To tow on a bar the vehicle has to be fully road legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    To tow on a bar the vehicle has to be fully road legal.
    I think trade plates only apply to employees of a business, but would they apply in this situation?

I think you will need a "car trailer" to sit the scrap car onto, as its against the law to tow the car without one, especially if its not taxed or insured.
    If you cant borrow a trailer, look and see if you can hire one anywhere.
    Like I said, I am only guessing about that being legal?

Default Towing

Locate your local scrapyard,phone them and ask how much they will pay for your car,some yards pay some money and as its a Honda the parts are expensive and they will be able to salvage all the good bits and sell them on,they usually come and collect,get them to fill in the section of the reg doc and stick it in the post to the DVLA,its important to do that in case the car is put back on the road or the plates used on a lookalike.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I think trade plates only apply to employees of a business, but would they apply in this situation?
    i thought trade plates could only be used when the vehicle has an mot, or is going to or from an mot testing station

Trade plates can only be used by the licence holder or his employee on the holder's business. Does not include going to the butty shop. A trade plate is only another tax disc (excise licence) so the vehicle has to have insurance and an MOT where applicable. Going to and from an MOT station by the most direct route is an exception for the MOT certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Going to and from an MOT station by the most direct route is an exception for the MOT certificate.
    Where does it say by the most direct route though? I know it says directly to an mot but they would have trouble proving which way is the most direct as long as you was not taking the mickey in a big way.
    You do not have to go to the nearest mot station so as long as you can prove you are on your way to an mot you are covered by lack of mot.However if the car is unroadworthy you could still be charged with any offences you are commiting.
    Last edited by Loony; 27-09-09 at 12:45.

Just to enlarge on this slightly, You can Drive without an MOT or TAX disk provided the vehicle is insured for you to drive and you have a pre booked appointment with either a garage that does MOT's or is going to carry out repairs to the Vehicle or to a VOSA test station for testing the vehicle.

In the case of imported and unregistered vehicles or freshly built kit cars you can drive without number plates too.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    Where does it say by the most direct route though?
    Agree and to clarify, I meant you don't book it at 11am then stop off at the sandwich shop, call at your mate's house 3 miles away, place a bet at the bookies and then roll up after leaving your house at 8am.
    Yes, you could in theory drive past lots of test stations en route to your favourite tester but commonsense should prevail as to just how far you can push this.