Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night driving glasses - need advice!

Default Night driving glasses - need advice!

Hi everybody out there!

I'm not so keen on driving at night due to headlight glare and dazzle, and wondered if driving glasses are the way forward?! Can anyone help?

Would using sunglasses be appropriate for night driving?

I think you just need to train yourself not to look at the on-coming lights.

I have anti-glare and anti-dazzle coatings on my glasses which I use for night driving.
    Someone asked a similar question on here a while back, and if I remember rightly, the general recommendation was for the yellow-tinted driving glasses sold by most opticians and Boots.

Yea! Jaffa, Wagolyn is right, you must train your self to keep looking to the left side of the road, that way you wont get dazzled.

As for the glasses, I use them orange tint ones, that cut out all the glare, they are also good for driving in snow conditions, as they cut all the glare from the snow, out.

They make me look like Joe 90, but I don't care, I'm the one not being dazzled

Cool Night Driving

Quote Originally Posted by jaffajaffa View Post
    Hi everybody out there!

I'm not so keen on driving at night due to headlight glare and dazzle, and wondered if driving glasses are the way forward?! Can anyone help?

Would using sunglasses be appropriate for night driving?
    NO! You don't say whether you currently wear correction lenses or not, but if you think about it sensibly for a minute anything that reduces the amount of light getting to the eye when you are driving at night must be a bad idea. I'm sorry, but the idea that coloured lenses improve your night vision is utter nonsense.

The problem of glare from sunlight off snow (oh, like that happens a lot!) can easily be solved by good quality sunglasses that don't change your perception of colour.

The healty human eye can readily adapt to varying light conditions, so if you are having trouble you should see an optician ASAP. If you need correction lenses make sure they have anti-reflective coatings and discipline yourself to concentrate your vision away from oncoming lights - that's all it needs.

Quote "The problem of glare from sunlight off snow (oh, like that happens a lot!) "

Well Watcher, it does actually if you live up the north end of Scotland where the mountains are, and as for the driving glasses not being any good for night driving, that is not quite true either. As the ones I wear do, and they are recommended by the instructors on the emergency driving course I did a few years ago.

Even if the oncoming car dazzles you by not dipping, you can still see perfectly
    Cheers, Smudger.

Hi all, thanks for all the advice .

I do try to avoid the rabbit feeling when other drivers dazzle at night. Do you remember the tv advert from 70s/80s with the slogan "Don't dazzle, dip your headlights". That always comes to mind when I'm driving at night.

I recently had an eye test and didn't need glasses fortunately and didn't bring it up night driving with the optician.

So I guess I need to look out for anti-reflection coatings, possible orange/yellow tint, do they need to be light-reactive or will that not come into effect at night? Apart from Boots does anyone know where to get these new-fangled devices from?

I donít think the light sensitive coatings react fast enough.
    At your eye test, did you get checked for glaucoma? This condition, I am told, makes driving at night difficult.

I got my first pair of those glasses from a motoring magazine, but after they got broken I found another pair in one of them market stalls that sold motoring gear, ony difference was the frames were more flexible.
    Maybe that's why they have lasted so long

The ones I have make me look a bit like Joe90 but I don't really care, as they are great at cutting out glare, which makes night driving and driving in the snow a lot better

I have noticed that the make green items seem Greener, if you know what I mean.