Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford fiesta 02 - eac fail

Default Ford fiesta 02 - eac fail

I own a 2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec which I've had from new. Approx. 3 years ago I started getting all sorts of problems with the engine management. The orange engine malfunction light would come on almost every trip I made. The car went back to Ford a few times and had software updates, eventually the orange engine light came on along with EAC FAIL on the mileage trip display. I was told a new throttle body was required, so I paid 340 for the work and that was that. Now, 3 years later I have the EAC FAIL light coming on again. The car goes onto what I would call 'reduced power' and the fail light resets if I turn the ignition off and on again.
    I read last week somewhere, that Ford released bulletin sheets a few years back stating that it wasn't a throttle body problem causing the EAC FAIL light to come on but sub standard loom conector's used on this part. Has anybody else had this problem? does anybody know where a copy of this bulletin can be found ? I thought the new throttle body would mean I would not see this EAC light again...

On the subject of the TSB, I would try a Google or similar search, as there are a few Fiesta Forums around which could hold the answer. (Have you asked Ford dealership?)
    I would advise keeping away from the Ford CDs being sold on Ebay, as some are too old to have relevant info, and others are incomplete, just collections of bits and pieces.

It can be either the wiring, the throttle body or calibration required. You would need to find someone with a Ford diagnostic tool to recalibrate it if the wiring or throttle body are found to be okay.

Angry Eac fail ford fiesta ghia 1.4

I bought my Ford Fiesta in October 2006 (ex mobility car) it's an 02 plate. I've had the EAC Fail problem for the last 4 years, been backwards and forwards to my local Ford dealer several times over the last 4 years and forked out alot of money in repairs (throttle body, throttle body sensor, etc, etc). I am still having the same problem. My car is not only now losing power but also completey cutting out - very dangerous if travelling on the motorway! I've written to Ford Motor Company twice over the last 4 years, they deny all knowledge of this being a 'common problem' so are unwilling to help me. Despite the fact that there are various website forums with owners experiencing the same problem. I don't enjoy driving my car anymore and feel anxious every time I get in it. I have recently been in touch with Trading Standards who have been extremely helpful and advised me of my legal rights as a consumer. I have also recently written to BBC Watchdog. My car went in for repair (yet again) on 14/06/10 and failed the following day. This is causing me a great deal of stress and inconvenience. I would urge everyone with the same problem to write to Ford Motor Company and/or contact your local Trading Standards. All I want is a reliable car that is SAFE to drive !

I have already wrote to Ford customer service and I have even had the head of Ford customer care phone me in response after I sent a letter ( along with a copy of all the bills) complaining about the quality of their genuine parts and throttle bodies. Their response is if the cars out of warranty bad luck, they then went on to try and sell me extra cover.
    Ford have a problem getting throttle bodies sourced at this moment in time and my local dealer tells me 2 month waiting time and I have to pay £150 deposit up front. This can only mean they know this component is ***** and are either getting a new supplier or they can't keep up with demand!!
    I now have a local garage who is also an auto electric expert saying he has some ideas which might sort it. He is aware of the problem and also Fords lack of interest. He claims Ford will not do electric fault finding when it comes to ECU problems because its time consuming and they don't make money on it, it's easier for them to just read the error code and replace the part that has the most errors, but this more often then not is triggered by something else!!

One thing you can try and sometimes works is to lubricate the spindle in the throttle body. Remove the large black plastic air pipe and hold the round butterfly plate open with a screwdriver (be gentle and do not scratch anything).
    Clean out all the dirt from the walls of the throttle unit. Now spray a lubricant - I use WD40 - all over the butterfly where it fits into the throttle walls. Operate the throttle open and closed several times and re-lube if necessary. Reassemble and start it and leave to idle for a few minutes (it may be slow to start at first).
    It has worked for me in the past but do keep on at Ford.

Thanks for your help Hometune.

I will give it a try, I have all but given up with Ford on this problem. I cannot understand how they can say they are not aware of a problem. You only have to google " EAC FAIL" and there are all sorts of forums relating to this issue. At the moment I only get the EAC FAIL light come up up when starting the car, it has appeared once or twice whilst driving. To date I have not replaced the throttle pedal and I am led to believe there is a positioning sensor built into it. You can usually tell when the car is about to put an error message up as the tick over goes erratic on the days building up to it !! This is why I'm guessing throttle postion sensor, as it could be giving to ECU false position information. My local garage who I mentioned in an earlier post suggests changing the throttle pedal and claims that if it still fails after fitting a new he will be able to get a refund for it from Ford !!! So thats my next step.

Thumbs down Eac fail - ford fiesta

Had a new throttle position sensor fitted on 14/06/10 cost me £130. Two days later I had the EAC Fail message again and my car lost power. Took my car back to my local Ford dealer after having rang Ford Motor Group to complain. Trading standards advised me that by law I am entitled to a long lasting satisfactory repair. Ford dealer then fitted a new throttle body, wiring loom and battery and said they'd stand the cost of £250 (which they did). Four days later I got the EAC Fail message again so my car has just gone back to my local Ford dealer who now tell me it could be a fault twith he 'brain of the car' (whatever that is - computer?!) and it could cost £800 to fix it !!

800 to fix it! They could replace the whole computer for less than that.

It always amazes me how they come up with such prices.

Default Eac fail - ford fiesta

Finally got my car sorted after 4 years of going backwards/forwards to my local Ford dealer with the same problem - EAC Fail on my Fiesta. Although everything had pointed to the throttle body (over the last 4 years!) I was then told it was a problem with the 'brain of the car' and that I needed to have a new PCM fitted at a cost of £944. A few months ago a work colleague suggested that I got in touch with Trading Standards and I'm so glad that I did! They helped me to draft a letter, basically saying that the car was inherently faulty at the time of purchase and quoting Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act which requires the trader to supply goods of a satisfactory quality. I also I had to document all the repairs and the costs over the last 4 years. After 2 weeks of having to stand my ground and refusing to pay the £944 (whilst reminding them what the law states and that I wasn't liable for the cost of the repairs as they are in breach of contract) my local Ford dealer finally agreed to stand the cost of the repairs - result! I could not have achieved a satisfactory outcome without the help, advice and support from my local Trading Standards. Ford Motor Group were absolutely no help at all and still refuse to accept that it is a common problem with Fiesta's. Hopefully now I will have a safe, reliable car which I actually enjoy driving.