Thread: The real truth of windscreen repairs/claims?

Default The real truth of windscreen repairs/claims?

I just can't believe a windscreen repair could be 'free' and not count as a claim on your insurance. It sounds too good to be true. Could someone please clarify this? There must be a catch somewhere.

I have a small, thin scratch on the interior of my rear windscreen, caused by a relative trying to put a lawnmower in the boot which was too big for the boot and scraped slightly against the inside of the window. I have just built up my first year of no claims so am reluctant to have anything whatsoever to do with the insurance. Rather than going to Autoglass or somewhere, I will probably go to my local garage and pay out of my own pocket for the repairs, to make sure there is a guarantee I won't have any insurance claim. My premium has just reduced by £200, I am not prepared to have it go up again for something like that.

If it is a scratch, I donít think anything can be done.

98selitb. Purely a guess, but a repair is much cheaper than a replacement, so it could be just an incentive for people to opt for a repair rather than a replacement.

The catch is that it will count as a claim against your motor insurance history. It's a con. The insurance company pay the glass repair company £30-40 to repair the windscreen and they charge you £100 for the next 3 years as a result of you having had a claim. It doesn't affect your no claims... you still get the same discount but the core premium is affected by the claim in your history.

What I did when I got a sizeable chip was go and vist one of the guys you see set up in the car park of retail parks and he did it for £25 cash.

98selitb, if its just a scratch try using Brasso, (or Chrome cleaner) that will remove it, as they are really a liquid forms of emery paper.
    I have used it to remove a bad scratch on my watch face, it worked a treat
    Cheers, Smudger.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhunter View Post
    The catch is that it will count as a claim against your motor insurance history. It's a con. The insurance company pay the glass repair company £30-40 to repair the windscreen and they charge you £100 for the next 3 years as a result of you having had a claim. It doesn't affect your no claims... you still get the same discount but the core premium is affected by the claim in your history.
    Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    98selitb, if its just a scratch try using Brasso, (or Chrome cleaner) that will remove it, as they are really a liquid forms of emery paper.
    I have used it to remove a bad scratch on my watch face, it worked a treat
    Cheers, Smudger.
    Don't agree with this... Well, what I mean is that you need to make sure you don't have a coated windscreen before you use any cutting agent on it. Plenty of cars now are fitted with heat reflective windscreens and using such an agent will cut a hole through the coating which could well end up looking worse than the original scratch.

Thanks for all your advice and explanations, much appreciated!

I am now more confused than ever!

I have windscreen cover that costs me £50 excess if the screen (and/or any other window) needs replacing. If it just needs a repair - i.e. is not illegal - you do not have to pay the excess. Yes, it does count as a claim, but many insurers don't totally crucify you if getting insurance and the only claim you have had is for windscreen damage.

If windscreen damage occurs at no fault to you - i.e. it's been vandalized or (as has recently happened here)damaged by injudicious blasting, then you don't lose out.

If your rearscreen damage is enough to make it difficult to see clearly, then I'd talk to Autoglass or RAC first and see what the situation is. Repairs need not be expensive and the benefit is that you get a guarantee. When my screens were damaged (I did put in a claim because it was vandalism and attempted theft and police informed) and my windscreen replacement started leaking earlier this year; Autoglass came out (not through insurance co but their guarantee) to check it. They couldn't trace the problem but could see it so reset existing screen with additional glue and I've now got an additional three years cover. These guys drove down from Inverness and over two ferries plus island mileage and return mileage to do three cars on the island.

Check it out - no obligation to buy and if reasonable, perhaps your relative might consider re-imbursing you. After all, if an 18 year old who broke my son's tent poles has worked and saved £50 for the cost of replacement (and learned a lesson!).....?