Thread: Registered Keepers/Log Book Owners

Default Registered Keepers/Log Book Owners

Hi

My Brother and his Girlfriend bought a car on her credit card. My brother paid for insurance and tax on his credit card. They have put the car in my mums name on the log book and my mum got it insured for his girlfriend as a second driver. Is this all legal/

Who has rights to the car as my brother and girlfriend have now split up.

my bets the late g/f...is it a decent car and whats her name and number...

I would have thought the legal owner would be the name that is on the V5 as "registered keeper", but then, that's just my guess

The legal owner will be the one named on the Bill of Sale. Registered keeper is not necessarily the owner.

[QUOTE=smokey16;44293]Hi

My Brother and his Girlfriend bought a car on her credit card. My brother paid for insurance and tax on his credit card. They have put the car in my mums name on the log book and my mum got it insured for his girlfriend as a second driver. Is this all legal/

Who has rights to the car as my brother and girlfriend have now split up.[/QUOTE

It was bought on HER credit card then its her car, she is paying for it. As for your mum insuring it and having her name on the v5, then no it's not legal, because your mum is not the keeper of the vehicle, as for the insurance is the ex named as a named driver or the main driver, because she is obviously the main driver and as such the premium would take that into account.
    Last edited by saloon drifter; 10-08-09 at 08:11.

It is not illegal for someone to buy and own a car and have it registered in someone else's name. Neither is it illegal for someone other the owner to insure a car as the main driver, with the owner named as a second driver.
    It is illegal if it is the named second driver who is the main driver. This is called 'fronting' and if you do a search on this Forum, you will find an explanation of how the insurance companies deal with this.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger879n View Post
    I would have thought the legal owner would be the name that is on the V5 as "registered keeper", but then, that's just my guess
    fraid it's not so....read the small print

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    It is not illegal for someone to buy and own a car and have it registered in someone else's name. Neither is it illegal for someone other the owner to insure a car as the main driver, with the owner named as a second driver.
    It is illegal if it is the named second driver who is the main driver. This is called 'fronting' and if you do a search on this Forum, you will find an explanation of how the insurance companies deal with this.
    I am not sure that the owner/keeper has to be named on the insurance.
    Some years ago, we knew a pub landlord who had never owned or driven a car. He and his wife used to need to be taxied around quite a bit (it was a village pub), so the landlord bought a car and it was insured in the name of the chap who drove them around. His perk was use of the car at all other times.

Snowball, your example is exactly what I refer to in the first paragraph. Your pub landlord is acting perfectly legally. I think you are questioning what I said, but am not sure in which way?