Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlamps Nissan Micra

Default Headlamps Nissan Micra

Hi

I have just had my first night drive, scary!!

I really don't understand the lighting rules as I think people kept flashing me.

I have three questions

1) When there are streetlamps and 30mph do I just use side lights?

2) My car has different icons, is the icon with two lights facing away the one for side lights?

3) Finally I can turn the stick again to an icon with one larger beam. Then I have two options low (If i pull the stick back) high (if i push it forward) . So do I have 3 options? and if so, when do I use each? aghaahgahahag!!!

Please help me.

You should use 'dipped' beam in lit or unlit streets for safety.
    The facing away symbol is sidelights. When you have the lever towards you, then you are on dip beam. When you push the lever forward you are on 'main' beam - a blue warning lamp will show on the dash.
    Do NOT use main beam when in built up areas with street lights. Only use it on unlit roads and when there are NO other drivers coming towards you or they will be dazzled!

Default Thank you

Thanks Hometune, I couldn't see anything with just sidelights, no road signs, marking or anything, but when i turned the switch to the picture with one headlamp, my boyfriend said people flashed me.

Maybe I needed to turn it to the one headlamp picture and then pull the leaver back for dipped? Maybe I had it on normal? I was deffo not on full (green icon was on the dash but not blue)

So I do have 3 choices of main beam do i? normal, dipped and full? The trouble is, normal and dipped look the same strength from inside the car, I couldn't see any difference. Bloody driving in the dark. its poo!

Default Headlamps

I find reading the car manual is often a good idea!

Besides making sure you know how to switch between dip and main and WHY, make sure to find out if there is an "aim adjuster" on your car. Some cars have these so that you can lower the dip beam aim as you increase load in the car (which points the lamps UP) to avoid dazzle.

And DO NOT drive around with fog lights on if it it NOT densely foggy!

I find reading the car manual is often a good idea! Why is there always one....

Errr I did. It was four lines on the topic of headlights and had a diagram showing exactly what I can see in my car (which is why I described it very well in the last post). Unfortunately it offers no other information to describe any of the icons used or how many options available to me. Hence stage 2 the form post.

I can manage to work everything in the car, I have the headlight adjuster beam switch on normal setting as I am a light load!

All I want to know is....are there 3 (Three) options for headlamps? Is this usual?

Normal (stick turned to icon of full beam) Dipped (as before but lever pulled back) and Full (as Normal but leaver pushed forward and blue light on the dash)

Do I use:
    Normal on an unlit road
    Dipped in town at night
    Full when visibility is poor on an unlit road with no traffic coming in the opposite direction.

Fog when visibility is less than 100 yards.

Phew.....

Most modern cars now have adjustable head lights, where you can rais and lower the beams according to the weight you have in the back.
    As for the stock, its usually,..one turn= side lights, next turn, head lights, then the dip/full beam, is usually by way of pushing, pulling the stalk itself.

If you park your car up to a wall or garage door, (in the dark) put them on dip, then use the adjust switch (which is usually down on the right hand side of your dash board, so you can reach it easily), you will see the beams rising/falling.
    Cheers, Smudger.

Default Headlamps

NO! I wasn't being sarky. You need to read the manual again, properly. Your headlamps do NOT have three settings, they have two MAIN and DIPPED.

Anything else, the "3rd setting" is for parking!

Here is a very brief summary:-

Use dipped: at all times when lights are needed and you are moving, (N.B. not necessarily during the hours of darkness). I would also point out that dipped beam is infinitely better than fog lights in fog! Fog lights are little more than very dubious "fashion" accessories and can be both dangerous and very annoying!

Use main: when there is no streetlighting and no oncoming roadusers (including bikes and pedestrians) that you would dazzle, AND you are not following roadusers you could dazzle through their mirrors.

You would benefit from finding somewhere dark and quiet where you won't disturb anyone, where you can park, and while another driver sits in the driving seat controlling the lights, get them to switch the headlamps onto main and then dip while you are outside the car and can study where the light falls, away from and facing the car, so you get the idea. (probably a good idea if they keep the engine running).

You should see that the dip beam is "asymetrical", i.e. it doesn't just "dip" towards the raod, it projects further along the nearside (to illuminate pedestrians and the road edge). If this is not properly adjusted it will dazzle oncoming road users.

Likewise, main beam will do much the same, but should also cast a beam of light into a "pool" further into the distance - this defines your safe driving speed at night.

(Some cars have 4 headlamps, 2 that stay"dipped" and 2 "driving" lamps that fill-in on main beam).

Since some time ago there is another setting called "dim-dip" that, as the name suggests, puts thesidelights on and the headlamps on dimly when you turn/move your lighting switch to its first position - this is the SIDE LIGHTS or PARKING LIGHTS position and is NOT to be used when driving.

If you manage to grasp that and people still flash you, get you car down to the garage and get them to check the headlamp aim on a beam-setter as they may well be set wrong (often go out of alignment when a bulb is replaced because the new filament isn't in exactly the same place as the old one).

An afterthought- maybe people flash you because you have a light out??
    Last edited by Watcher; 24-07-09 at 16:02. Reason: Afterthought

without sounding rude Kirsty, you have just passed your driving test. Have you read you highway code,

Quote Originally Posted by tangoman View Post
    without sounding rude Kirsty, you have just passed your driving test. Have you read you highway code,
    Passive aggressive people are bad...but dumb passive aggressive people are worse.

The highway code does not contain information on the lighting system of the Nissan Micra. It turns out my lighting system was stuffed along with the rest of the electrics.

Thanks for your concern.

Oh....and for the record....you are rude.

...and probably a misogynist to boot!

Happy driving

It was a light out! Thanks...sorry just getting frustrated. Appreciate your time to reply.