Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do traders not have to give a 3 month warranty if you buy a seperate one?

Default Do traders not have to give a 3 month warranty if you buy a seperate one?

We bought a second hand Land Rover Discovery 2 months ago from a second hand car dealer, he offered us a warranty from a company called WMS, he said he doesn't make anything on it, he offered it to us for what he would pay (150 for the 4 star policy) and we paid WMS direct. He assured us it would be woth it for the peace of mind. Now we have found out that the steering box is knackered, our mechanic says there is a lot of 'play' in it and it is leeking oil. According to WMS this is 'general wear and tear' and so we are not covered. Do we have any rights with the dealer? Does the fact that we bought a 12 month warranty from WMS mean that he now has no come back if the car is faulty?
    Any advie would be gratefully received...
    Many thanks!

Check with Trading Standards Office, but as far as I am aware, you have a three month warranty from the dealer, and a faulty steering box should definitely be covered by the dealer. Most of them start the third-party warranty from the date of sale and use this as an excuse not to do anything themselves. The extended should start three months after the date of sale.

Welcome to the site babybean, pity about your problem though, but as Rolebama has said, contact the consumer rights people. You can start this by contacting your local CAB office, they will be able to give you more help with that.
    You can find the CAB office number in your loacl phone directory, good luck.
    Cheers, Smudger.

I have been through this with a neighbour and the bottom line is the trader does not have to give any warranty at all, but the car must be fit for purpose, as the problem is wear and tear you can have a word with him but legally he doesn't have to do anything.

Sorry to have to tell you your neighbour is wrong. You have a warranty on any car bought from a dealer. You cannot even, in law, sign it away. This was introduced in comsumer law back in the 70s, and has never been repealed. It was introduced to stop dodgy dealers duping members of the public into thinking they have no warranty.

Hi i have a similar problem. I brought a Vauxhall Astra from a dealership near me on 3/9/11 it was a part ex and they sold it to me as a trade sale and sold as seen. In the begining to middle of october the ECU has gone. Do i have any rights with the dealership in asking about a warrenty as they say no?

Quote.."it was a part ex and they sold it to me as a trade sale and sold as seen."

Thats not true, contact these people, on the link below, they will keep you right, good luck.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...ghts/index.htm

Is it three or six months?

Default Lawgistics site says warranty does not have to be offered

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Sorry to have to tell you your neighbour is wrong. You have a warranty on any car bought from a dealer. You cannot even, in law, sign it away. This was introduced in comsumer law back in the 70s, and has never been repealed. It was introduced to stop dodgy dealers duping members of the public into thinking they have no warranty.

on this url http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/used-car...cond-hand-cars it says in fifth paragraph " Although warranties do not have to be offered Lawgistics recommend car dealers provide customers with something in writing (dealer guarantee, claims procedure or simple terms and conditions). This can help manage difficult customers and stop unsubstantiated claims "

My question therefore being who is right, the RAC or the Lawgistic site?

Regards

Ade Sharp

The law is right, and the law says you have a warranty on any second hand car bought from a dealer. It is quite true that they do not have to be 'offered' as it is given by law and there is no way a dealer can opt out of this situation.