Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Renewal Ford Galaxy 2005 tdi

Default Timing Belt Renewal Ford Galaxy 2005 tdi

Hi

I have a 1.9tdi 2005 Ford Galaxy. Water pump disintegrated and so I took the opportunity to replace the cam belt as it was coming up for renewal anyway.

Since refitting, I can't get the engine started. Turns over fine, but its not even close to starting.

The cambelt and crankshaft were left in exactly the same position when I removed the belt as when it was refitted.

Any ideas on what I should check?

Thanks

Steve

You have probably got the cam timing wrong. It sounds like you did not follow the correct procedure to change the belt. The cam pulley is a vernier type. You should have locked the camshaft in position using a 6mm pin(or drill) then tensioned belt before retightening the vernier bolts on the pulley.
    Last edited by MrDanno; 18-07-09 at 23:50.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I will re-check the timing tomorrow. It looked to me from the cam markers that the shaft had not moved but its worth checking.

Do you know on the MKII what drives the diesel pump?

Steve

It doesn't matter if the cam has or hasn't moved. You HAVE to lock the cam with a pin - drill bit will do - and the crank should be locked with a special locking tool. If not available you MUST accurately mark the crank relative to the block so that it can be checked after fitting a new belt. As MrDanno says, the 3 bolts holding the cam sprocket must be slackened BEFORE the NEW tensioner is adjusted. You MUST fit a new tensioner and guide pulley as well.

Thanks for all your replies.

I am told there are no markers on the crank/engine block on this vehicle. Is there any way of starting from scratch in terms of timing the engine ... ie. how do you know that the crank is in TDC position?

All help appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Remove no.1 or no.4 glow plug and insert a length of wire (coat hanger ideal - modified of course!) and feel for the piston just coming up to the top. Note with a mark on the block behind the crank sprocket. Then carry on clockwise until it just starts to go down. Mark again then split the difference.
    Actually depending on engine code, some do have small marks on the crank sprocket. Also, some VW gearboxes have an access plug on the top which you can pull out and a line on the flywheel will line up with a pointer.

I can get the crank to TDC position. On the camshaft pulley, there are 8 or so little grooves approx an inch long. How do you get the camshaft into the right position from those markings?

Also, on the timing belt tensioner, there's an arrow marker which moves when you pull or slacken the tensioner. What do you have line up to ensure the tensioner is in the correct position so that it self-tensions itself?

Thanks

Steve

You get the camshaft positioned using a PIN thru the fixed part of the vernier pulley and locating in a hole in the engine. You can use a drill (6mm I think ).

As Hometune said it is best practice change the tensioner and idler pulleys etc at the same time as cambelts.

Once you have the crank and camshaft in the right positions for TDC, With the vernier pulley bolts loose fit the timing belt and tension it, Then tighten the vernier bolts. Use a holding tool for the pulley - DO NOT tighten against the belt, It can damage it.
    Last edited by MrDanno; 20-07-09 at 23:52.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEPHS View Post
    I can get the crank to TDC position. On the camshaft pulley, there are 8 or so little grooves approx an inch long. How do you get the camshaft into the right position from those markings?

Also, on the timing belt tensioner, there's an arrow marker which moves when you pull or slacken the tensioner. What do you have line up to ensure the tensioner is in the correct position so that it self-tensions itself?

Thanks

Steve
    I have to say that your lack of experience is going to end in a disaster here. If you have to ask these sorts of questions then you are completely out of your depth. If you don't know how to tension the belt it is guaranteed to break and if you didn't replace the tensioner which VW/Ford say you MUST because they fail, then no matter how much we reply on here, it just isn't going to work. I'm surprised you haven't wrecked the engine already.
    If you are determined to do the job yourself, buy a Haynes manual or similar. You really are in deep trouble with this and if you do not torque the cam bolts to the correct setting or the tensioner...

Thanks for your vote of confidence Hometune - not very helpful I must say. Most of these forums are for DIY people not experts - if we were all experts we would have no need to post questions!

If you can find a Haynes manual for a MKII Galaxy then your a better man than me! I have a Haynes Manual, but the configuration is different in the model I have compared to the MKI. i.e water pump is driven off the aux belts not the cam belt on the MKI engine etc

As for your comments on changing the tensioner, for the record I should point out that the Haynes manual does not call for it to be changed (rather checked).