Thread: Ford Fiesta Durashift gearbox

Default Ford Fiesta Durashift gearbox

Hi

I have a Ford Fiesta with a Durashift semi auto gearbox its done 55,000 miles on a 53 plate.

A few weeks ago I had a warning symbol come on (the yellow one with the caution symbol for the gearbox). It spooked me a little so I stopped the car switched it off then started it again and it went away. The car worked normally.

A couple of days ago the same thing happened it went away again. In recent months I have noticed the electronic clutch seems to be slipping excessively especially in the low gears from standing start.

Is this normal as I have been told that these gearboxes can suffer from glitches however I have also heard and read that they become increasingly problematic as the get towards 70,000 miles.

Does anyone know if this is a problem which is going to get worse and end up in a big bill. Also should I get a different non durashift car to avoid any problems if it is true that these gearboxes suffer reliability problems.

Gearbox issues aside this car has been very reliable and if it wasn't for the gearbox I would probably keep the car for a while longer.

Any info or recommendations are gladly welcome.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Have you checked the level of Transmission fluid? Most Autobox problems are to do with the fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    Have you checked the level of Transmission fluid? Most Autobox problems are to do with the fluid.
    No I haven't. I'll have to have a look at that. The car did have a full service a month ago and I would hope it was looked at.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foommoof View Post
    Hi

I have a Ford Fiesta with a Durashift semi auto gearbox its done 55,000 miles on a 53 plate.

A few weeks ago I had a warning symbol come on (the yellow one with the caution symbol for the gearbox). It spooked me a little so I stopped the car switched it off then started it again and it went away. The car worked normally.

A couple of days ago the same thing happened it went away again. In recent months I have noticed the electronic clutch seems to be slipping excessively especially in the low gears from standing start.

Is this normal as I have been told that these gearboxes can suffer from glitches however I have also heard and read that they become increasingly problematic as the get towards 70,000 miles.

Does anyone know if this is a problem which is going to get worse and end up in a big bill. Also should I get a different non durashift car to avoid any problems if it is true that these gearboxes suffer reliability problems.

Gearbox issues aside this car has been very reliable and if it wasn't for the gearbox I would probably keep the car for a while longer.

Any info or recommendations are gladly welcome.

Thanks in advance

Matt
    Hi there
    I have a mazda 2 1.4 Durashift 54 plate, approx 56000 miles. I usually change gear manually to get the smoothest possible shift. I havn't had any problems with lights on the dash as yet. What I do suffer with, and have done for the last two years is a bad juddering throught the offside wheel when you set off. You can feel it and also hear it even when the stereo on. I reported it to mazda several times and they could find "no fault". Then when it went in for its first MOT and at which time the warranty then exspired, they then said it was a worn clutch!! how convenient!! It is still on it's original clutch though it does "slip" sometimes.
    I would be interested in knowing anything you have including technical information on this gearbox and any reports.
    Many thanks

Hi whiteswan

We recently part exchanged our Fiesta semi auto for a fully auto car.

I never really got to the bottom of why the lights came on and I put it down to just being tempremental.

However with regards to your clutch being worn. I fully assume this was the same case with ours. We also had the juddering from standing start (although I forgot to mention it in the thread) which I am led to believe is the sign of a well worn clutch as you have found out.

Also I was told that the clutch slipping excessively was due to the clutch being worn and thus it was a vicious circle the more worn the clutch is the more the electronics slip the clutch which allows the clutch to wear even further. I hound our clutch would still be slipping in 3rd gear at 2,600 rpm if you put your foot down too soon, which isn't right. We also developed a clunk sound when braking for example at traffic lights, we would brake to a standstill and just before the car stopped at about 4-5 mph the gearbox would engage 1st gear and release the clutch. When the clutch engaged you would hear a loud clunk sound and you could feel the car lurch slightly due to the engine breaking.

The advice I recieved led me to believe the clutch would not last beyond 65,000 miles which isn't good enough. I have had cars in the past that have done well over 100,000 miles and the clutches have been in pretty good condition.

I think at the end of the day this gearbox isn't really an answer to a fully auto. Yes it lets you change gear but reliability and longevity are not good enough. Also it is very jerky and unpredictable if left in auto not to mention the extra fuel it guzzles in auto because it revs higher than if you were controlling it manually.

Now we have swapped cars and gone for a full auto the differnce is amazing. The gear changes are smooth and more predictable and it actually uses less fuel with a slightly bigger engine.

It's a shame because the gearbox aside the fiesta was a good reliable run around.

Thumbs up Fiesta durashift problems

I had tonnes of problems with the gearbox on my fiesta LX, I went to a few different garages that never really fixed anything, but I took it into a garage last month in Surrey and touch wood I've had no problems since. I would recommend them if your having issues: Automatic Transmission Services 01342 842229 / 07979493697.

Default Dura shift gearbox problems

Hi there
    Is it possible to provide a more detailed account of the problem and the total cost of repair?

My gearbox failed at Christmas. It had to be towed to the dealership on the 29th December. I got it back on the 15th January 2010 with no courtesy car to use in the meantime.
    Total bill for a new Actuator and PCM £1700 ouch!!!