Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Caravans are back

Quote....."Should caravans be restricted to 30 mph whatever road they are on?"

Geez! what, but what a horrible thought, what do you think would happen if every HGV drove at the correct speed limit on our A roads?

It would cause chaos?

Personally, Smudger, I'd rather the people who planned HGV and other delivery drivers' schedules actually got their backsides behind the wheel and experienced the issues! It seems that some firms use information from some desk pusher in cozy urbania with no idea of what it's like!

Aye! FJ, tell me about, when I was driving removal lorries they used to give us totally impossible dead lines?

On one occasion, when they called me up and complained that we were behind schedule, I quizzed their "sanity" the woman said, "well its only 3" on the map? I replied, is that a pocket diary map you are using?

They had allowed us 2 hours to do a 97 mile detour off the motorway, pick up a house full of stuff, then drive the 97 mile return run to get back on the motorway?

It was exactly the same when I was in the ambulance service, they had me down to be in Ninewells at Dundee at 10.30, and another patent to be in Edinburgh Royal at 11.15?

When I asked which one they wanted me to do,.....they replied......Both?
    as they are only a few inches apart on the map???
    Last edited by smudger; 30-10-13 at 22:59.

I used to do a run up to Sheffield occasionally. Because of the actual location in Sheffield, the drive only averaged 35mph, even though most of it was up the M1. By boss of the time queried why it took so long, so we agreed he would do the next run. He ran into every traffic problem imaginable. Roadworks, collisions causing delays, detours, and of course he had to get the final destination route from the people in Sheffield. He averaged 22mph for the run and never complained again.

Those last two posts made me smile!!

So do we need caravans restricted to 30mph max?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Just Dennis stirring the pot
    Never thought of that, Santa - must be losing my cynical edge!

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post
    The only possible reason I can think of is that it might make them easier to overtake in a car! However, what happens when a heavy goods vehicle gets behind one at 30mph; it would result in all of having to drive at 30mph. The impact that would have on travelling would be horrendous, certainly in our part of the world where our main trunk roads are often the only roads. It would cripple businesses over a wide area and mean a total re-working of ferry timetables and probably mean that post takes an extra day to get to destinations. There's already an uproar about the intention to make many of our A roads, currently at 60 outside towns and villages, 50 max. With that limit in place, had I still been taking son to Edinburgh at the start and end of the uni year, I wouldn't be able to do the round trip in the day because of ferry times.

I may be sounding callous here but why should we all be reduced to the lowest common denominator because people don't take the responsibility of driving to the conditions and the law?

Snowball, take your point about not all van owners having the annual inspection. Out of curiosity, what is the average number of years warranty you get with a van nowadays? And, just a thought, would some system with van manufacturers that triggered a van that hasn't been serviced or is out of warranty then be advised to DVLA (if the MOT idea went ahead) be practical? Think it's all a bit top heavy and folks would find a way round it.
    Our present van has a 10-year warranty for water ingress. Other major habitation components (fridge/water heater/cooker, etc) have, I believe a two or three year cover. Warranties are only valid if annual servicing is completed by an accredited service dept.
    Our 18-month old van is waiting to go back to the manufacturer for rectification of water ingress. Over the years, this is our fourth new van, but first to have this problem.
    Across the industry, owners are observing that recent new vans are suffering from poor quality work, and bodyshell integrity seems to be one of the most common causes for complaint.

UK caravan bodyshell design has recently received a face-lift, and I believe that there is little long-term exhaustive testing prior to vans going on sale. So the buyers become the test-bed for proving whether they have a quality buy or a lemon!

Your question about lack of service: Our van had its first annual service in May, at a convenient NCC-approved workshop. But this workshop wasn't approved for warranty work on our particular make of van. I therefore took it to a workshop that was qualified. They prepared a report, but the service dept that I had used had failed to register the service via the manufacturer's website. This failure had to be amended before the manufacturer would proceed.
    So, yes, manufacturers do have a system in place; currently to serve there own in-house requirements, but a system that seems easily extended for providing proof of servicing/roadworthiness to a government body.

LOL. Caravans are cool. It was cool driving the house where we want.